I have a friend that can build me a Windows 7 laptop with same specs as Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
Hi,
I am at a crossroads. I switched to Mac two years, eight months ago. I got an iMac with an 'Intel processor'. Turns out it has a corrupted Logic Board. Unfortunately during all the time I was trying to diagnose my problem, the warranty expired. After a search online I found out this had been a problem with the iMac long before I had purchased my computer. The repair for this is between $900 and $1400.

I can still use my iMac but it crashes often and is slow. I am in need of replacing this computer but am so annoyed with Mac I would rather not give them any more money.

However, I am now fully set up for Mac. It will be a headache to switch back. I have a friend that can build me a Windows 7 laptop with same specs as Mac Book Pro but a better price.

I mainly use my Mac for photo editing with PSE. I use iPhoto for organizing my photos (lots of keywords & ratings). I have close to 48,000 photos. I use iMovie on occasion. I also use iWeb published to Mobile Me but am getting frustrated with this set up as well (have been spending the last week wiht their support so far with no solution to my upload problem after more than a year of no problems). I have an iPod Touch and several other various iPods if that matters.

I really would rather not switch back if I don't have to but I am having trouble coming up with arguments not to switch. What will I gain by paying more to get a Mac Book Pro? Anyone out there went from Mac to Windows and then came back to Mac?

I am able to get a university discount, but still the Windows Laptop is cheaper. Especially since I will never buy another Apple computer without purchasing Apple Care (another $250+).

Bottom line - anything I am not thinking of that will convince me to stay?

Is there another section of this forum better than this one to post this question?

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughtful responses.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you take it to Apple? Is this fault a known issue? Sometimes with issues like that they do a repair for free if it's a known issue affecting many machines.

Is the info you got from Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
No chance of my convincing you - when my MBP was 18months old and 6 months out of warranty a video issue appeared - Apple came to the party with new Logic Board and repair - i paid shipping both ways - worked for me.

OP
X
Reaction score
The Apple store where it was diagnosed wanted to charge me and the store where I purchased it told me on the phone they could not help me and were not friendly. If someone knows a better avenue within Apple to contact, please let me know. I'd like nothing more than to have this problem fixed and get my money's worth out of my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ok then bypass the local stores etc and phone Apple on the 1 800 and give them the - i expected better yadda yadda. Nothing to lose and all to gain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
Hi,
I am at a crossroads. I switched to Mac two years, eight months ago. I got an iMac with an 'Intel processor'. Turns out it has a corrupted Logic Board. Unfortunately during all the time I was trying to diagnose my problem, the warranty expired. After a search online I found out this had been a problem with the iMac long before I had purchased my computer. The repair for this is between $900 and $1400.

I can still use my iMac but it crashes often and is slow. I am in need of replacing this computer but am so annoyed with Mac I would rather not give them any more money.

However, I am now fully set up for Mac. It will be a headache to switch back. I have a friend that can build me a Windows 7 laptop with same specs as Mac Book Pro but a better price.

I mainly use my Mac for photo editing with PSE. I use iPhoto for organizing my photos (lots of keywords & ratings). I have close to 48,000 photos. I use iMovie on occasion. I also use iWeb published to Mobile Me but am getting frustrated with this set up as well (have been spending the last week wiht their support so far with no solution to my upload problem after more than a year of no problems). I have an iPod Touch and several other various iPods if that matters.

I really would rather not switch back if I don't have to but I am having trouble coming up with arguments not to switch. What will I gain by paying more to get a Mac Book Pro? Anyone out there went from Mac to Windows and then came back to Mac?

I am able to get a university discount, but still the Windows Laptop is cheaper. Especially since I will never buy another Apple computer without purchasing Apple Care (another $250+).

Bottom line - anything I am not thinking of that will convince me to stay?

Is there another section of this forum better than this one to post this question?

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughtful responses.

Try calling them.....get to customer relations. I had them replace my sisters old iBook G3. They did not want to at first, but did in the end (however, it was a recalled unit, but still 3 years out of warrantee)
But, customer relations really takes care of you. They have replaced 8...yes 8 macbook pros for me in the past 3-4 years. I have yet to pay a cent. And each time they give me the newest model. Usually they were hot, or had a bad battery, but I always did the advance exchange instead of a repair. Works great, and I'm happily using my new macbook pro.

OP
X
Reaction score
Awesome! I will definitely do that then. I have been entertaining that idea all along but thought I better start researching this avenue in the meantime. Now, I'm more encouraged! Thanks.

Reaction score
Try calling them.....get to customer relations. I had them replace my sisters old iBook G3. They did not want to at first, but did in the end (however, it was a recalled unit, but still 3 years out of warrantee)
But, customer relations really takes care of you. They have replaced 8...yes 8 macbook pros for me in the past 3-4 years. I have yet to pay a cent. And each time they give me the newest model. Usually they were hot, or had a bad battery, but I always did the advance exchange instead of a repair. Works great, and I'm happily using my new macbook pro.

Holy Crap! So every six months, on average, for the past 4 years, you had to replace your computer with a new one? Didnt you get a little ****** after the first couple times? Just wondering.

Edit: My 24" imac is still under warranty. If I can get it to fry, could I maybe get a new 27" since they dont make the 24" anymore?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Another track is to take the issue to some consumer rights outfit - in the UK we'd probably contact the Trading Standards people, claiming that the device had been sold 'unfit for purpose'. Also, some newspapers and TV programmes pick up on cases like this and pursue the organization to get a better deal for the consumer. However, if it CAN be done through Apple, go there!

And... a later PS... you might get the same spec, technically, as the Apple - but would you get the same QUALITY spec? My move from the PC after as long as there have been PCs has been painless and every day I congratulate myself on making the move - going back to the PC as my primary machine (I use XP under VMFusion) would be horrendous!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Remember, it wasn't Apple's fault it was your fault for letting your warranty expire.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There is one more thing to consider that might be an issue when switching to a Windows box that has been "built to order" so to speak. Lets assume your friend does a good build even then you are dealing with several different manufacturers with different warranty lengths for the parts. Hard drive dies that's one manufacturer and warranty, motherboard another etc. I'm not saying all these things will go out at once just that resolving issues might mean contacting several different manufacturers. With Apple resolving hardware issues involves talking to one manufacturer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
At this point, if you don't know if you should stay with a Mac, then you probably shouldn't bother. You're at a point in life where money is really an important factor and you should probably go with what you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Other then the money with baggss addressed they only real question is th OS. keep in mind that there was a reason you went to a Mac and I would bet that was osX. Only one way to have that.

Hope this helps
Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
I dont understand why, if there was an issue, and your machine had a warranty close to expiring why you wouldn't immediately just bring it to apple and say, sup, check this out...

Apple warranties have always treated me very well. I agree call customer support and see what they offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
Telling him he should have taken it in when it was under warranty won't really help at this point...

My advice is to stick with Apple. I am so tired of Windows and all the problems that come along with it. I own a business with my brother, and he is an Apple hater. He does most of the computer work, so we have Windows PCs. Earlier today, he was taking pics for our web page. Stuck the memory card in the reader (HP/Compaq), and it did not recognize it. I laughed. Then he plugged the camera USB cord into it. Didn't recognize it. I laughed harder. He had to shut down (after saving a bunch of open files) and restart. Took about 5 minutes, of course. Then he still had to go to "My Computer" and manually open the memory card folder since it wouldn't auto load like it is supposed to.

Exactly the same thing my last Windows computer started to do when it was about 6-8 months old. No reason... just started acting goofy. Stopped auto loading DVDs, too. Oh, and it forgot about the DVD player until I finally found the right driver for it (even HP didn't know which driver would work). No more Windows for me... except at work, where I am forced to use one.

At least I got him to switch to an AirPort Extreme router. Now we have guest wifi for our customers, a more secure router, and more reliable, too.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Brunhild
@mcbrew

Did either of you bother to look at the date of the post you replied to?

(12-26-2009)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
@Brunhild
@mcbrew

Did either of you bother to look at the date of the post you replied to?

(12-26-2009)

hehe... you beat me to it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010+ Mac Mini, 2.4 ghz, 8 gigs RAM / iPad (1st gen) 32gb 3G / iPhone4 16gb / iPod Video 30gb
No... but it's late and I've had a few drinks. I don't think I'll look. I'll just keep it a mystery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
No... but it's late and I've had a few drinks. I don't think I'll look. I'll just keep it a mystery.

haha agreed Ive had a few beers.

it was bold and uptop, response happened.

thats game... lol..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.