iTunes Mini Player Won't Stay Put

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I am getting rather annoyed with iTunes at the moment. I like to keep it in the mini player mode in the bottom left of my screen so I can always see it and it's out of the way. However, it started jumping up from the bottom edge of the screen after I maximize it and then put it back into mini player. It was not doing this before, and I can't get it to stay down. I think it also jumps up after a little while even if I don't maximize it. Anyone got any suggestions for why it's doing this or how to fix it? Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does no one else have this problem or am I just the only one who keeps the miniplayer down in the bottom left corner?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. When I put iTunes in Mini Player mode, it goes down about a half-inch from the bottom of the screen. If I had left the dock at the original size, the iTunes window would be aligned with the bottom of my windows, but because I shrunk it, the windows extend further down.

Does anybody have any tips?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes it fixes itself when iTunes releases an update. Then the next update comes and it's messed up again. Is this simply a bug in the software that they keep messing up and needing to patch or what?

I'm currently running iTunes 9.1 (latest version). Does anyone else running 9.1 keep it in mini player mode on the very bottom of the screen (so it is immediately next to the dock)? If so, do you have this problem? If not, could someone try it for a while and let me know if they have any issues with it or not?

Reaction score
I have the same problem and it's killing me already! I'd love to hear if there is some way to fix this.

Sometimes when I go to System Preferences -> Dock and make the size very small - about 10% of the max or less - the itunes problem goes away, but only temporarily.

Another (even stranger) behavior is that even when I manually put the mini player back by the dock, sometimes after a few minutes it will creep up the screen by itself!

Using itunes 9.1.1 (12) on a mac mini - and by the way this was working perfectly fine until i installed the latest itunes update. Also, my friend with a macbook pro does not have this problem and he is using the exact same itunes version.

Thanks, Brian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do not have this issue on my system.

Would probably try logging into a different user account and see if it happens there.

If not, probably time to move the iTunes preference file to the desktop. Close iTunes, move the file, re-open itunes. The file is located at:

Users / your user / Library / Preferences / com.Apple.iTunes.plist

Doesn't fix it, you can move the file back replacing the new one it created.
Does fix it, you can trash the file.

Reaction score
This problem is still present in iTunes 10. I just realized though, that it only occurs when you're trying to keep the iTunes Mini Player alongside the dock, (rather than ABOVE it where most programs belong). If you can't use it below the top of the dock, it's a rather useless feature...

Reaction score
I was hoping to find a solution to this as well. I agree with mrdek11.... I like to put the mini-player to the right or left of the dock so I can see it all the time without it being in the way. Above the dock defeats the purpose of the mini-player for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.