• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD camera?

Reaction score
Are there an good hd cameras that are hard drive based that work for iMovie HD? I plan on buying 1 for filming but no 1 can tell me as definite answer weather or not it will work for iMovie. I plan on buying jvc GZ-HD300BU.

Reaction score
That camera uses the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format. Imovie HD supports mpeg4. So Im pretty sure it will work. Have you thought about upgrading to imovie 09?

OP
E
Reaction score
the thing is that its for my school and i cant upgrade their system so im stuck with imovie hd. i jus would like to have a guarntee that the jvc hd cameras can be exported into imovie

Reaction score
Hi, I've a Sony HD camrecorder HDR-CX11E, but the software is not compatible with mac. Can only download the picture not film. What software can I use to tranfer the file from the camrecorder to my mac. Thanks.

Reaction score
I have a Kodak EIS and it works wonderfully with my mac. Plus it's really small and compact, so I can take it everywhere. It plugs into the USB and also has an hdmi slot if you want to plug the camera into your tv.

Reaction score
JVC HD Everio with iMovie

Hi,

I work for JVC and would like to try and help.

The GZ-HD300 is a great choice if you have iMovie '08 or iMovie '09 and a Mac with an Intel Processor. Those are the basic requirements to work with HD Video in the AVCHD format (.mts) on an Apple. The camcorder would connect to your Mac through USB. Of course, having a faster processor, extra memory and a large hard drive are also important considerations for any work with HD video.

If you have an older Mac, or an older version of iMovie, such as iMovie 6HD, then you may be able to use an older JVC camcorder with a Firewire (i.Link) output. You might look for a model like the GZ-HD3, GZ-HD5, GZ-HD6, GZ-HD7 or GZ-HD40. However, the process is not as easy, and chances are if your computer is that old, it may not have the necessary "horsepower" to handle HD video as well as a newer computer would.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.