Imac up and died.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Imac 2.8GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB and other stuff I don't know crap about.
My Imac just up and died. When I go to restart and I type my password into the user log into OSX screen I get the beach ball for a minute then it dies. Anyone have any ideas?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I Have nothing! Won't even attempt to power up when pressing the power button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Any burning smell? (trying to isolate possible 'cause of death'). If absolutely nothing from the machine, and no pong of short circuit or burnt wires/connections, then it's likely the hard drive gone. It happens.

Do you feel competent to take apart an iMac to get the hard drive out? There are instructional videos on YouTube, for which of course you'll need to be at another computer (and I see your MacBook is on its way).

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hughvane, I thought I heard a little sizzle sound right before it died the first time! After a few more failed attempts I finely got logged on to OSX and it was running fine for like 15 mins. I left the room and came right back and it was dead again??? Maybe the power supply???

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any burning smell? (trying to isolate possible 'cause of death'). If absolutely nothing from the machine, and no pong of short circuit or burnt wires/connections, then it's likely the hard drive gone. It happens.

Do you feel competent to take apart an iMac to get the hard drive out? There are instructional videos on YouTube, for which of course you'll need to be at another computer (and I see your MacBook is on its way).

I'm on the new macbook right now. Its really not mine it was a xmas gift for my son. He is a little miffed that I had to commandeer it from him already.:Evil: And my Imac is still under apple care warranty so I don't really want to crack it open till I hear for them first. And I am not very computer savvy when It comes to working on the things. Thought when I have good instruction I can do must anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed. If you have Apple Care with those symptoms, take it in. Don't try to take it apart and possibly ruin your Apple Care.

Let us know what happens in the end if you would.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the apple tech called this morning and instructed me to unplug the power cord from the back of the Imac and hold the power button in for 10 seconds. This Worked!!! Still not exactly sure what I reset buy doing this but the Imac is up and running again. Though I does seem to be running kind of hot. Though I never really pay much attention to this before, so I can't be sure. It runs good though, Its not slow or anything. Never has been. I will be backing up my files ASAP though. And I think I will be upgrading to snow leapard as I an still running Tiger and SL on my sons new MBP is that much better! Anyone have Any thoughts about this though?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That reset the PMU (Power Management Unit). Glad that fixed it for you. I was sort of worried with all the talk about sizzling sounds.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right on and thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.