g4 accident

M

mitos_y

Hello everyone.

My story is this. Something heavy felt on my laptop g4 and it didn't seem to work at all, now I openned it up and everything inside seems fine, logic board is good and the object felt right on top of the hard drive so it is the only thing bent besides the case and power plug. I'm just about to put it back together (wish me luck) just need to buy Arctic Silver Thermal paste (no you know a good place in NYC to get this?) and will try to see if it works (by the way the display is out) using a dvi to external monitor I have. My question to you guys is, if the hard drive was destroyed will the machine be able to turn on at all? I don't want to waste money on a hard drive if the machine wont work at all.

I was going to get a new machine but I'm enjoying open this thing up and learning so much about it. It is amazing how strong they are considering what it went through and the amount of damage it shows. I'm hoping that non of the electrical circuits were damaged, I don't think so, and maybe I just need to replace the HD and still have the thing running.

Thanks for responding.
Mitos_y

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is a good question, I wish I could help. The only thing that I can think of is, can you boot of a CD. Have you tried to boot from your install CD?

OP
M

mitos_y

rman thanks for replaying to me.

Ok, I put it back together and when I press power it makes a sound and it look like it might be something on the screen but because the display is broken I can't see what's on the screen and I tried to go dvi to a dell monitor I have but i get nothing. So, I inserted the install cd but i can see if there is anything happening yet. Now I'm thinking in what to do.

If anybody have suggestion they will be more than welcome.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.