Buying a G5

Reaction score
I am considering buying a used G5 Tower, Dual 1.8GHz Processor, with Leopard Operating System (10.5), installed, along with Office 2008, iLife 2006 and Final Cut Studio 2.0 Pro.

Are there some diagnostic tests I can run to determine if the computer is working properly before I buy? Step by step recommendations appreciated as I am almost entirely unfamiliar with Mac computers. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
Do you the software available to run the Apple Hardware Test?

OP
P
Reaction score
No, I don't have any Apple software. Is there anything I can do to test the computer on the spot? Does the operating system have something I can run to test the hardware?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
If you had the OS disks, you could perform the Apple Hardware Test which usually takes about 45 minutes.

I don't know of any quick tests that take a minute or two and can verify the well-being of a machine.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks! The guy who's selling it does have the OS disks, so I will ask him to run the Apple Hardware Test. I assume he will know how to do it. I appreciate your responses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion if you want a G5, look for at least a 2GHz DP as the earlier models were not as reliable. Just do a search for 1.6 and 1.8 problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
My next question would be... How much are you paying for this machine? If it's that great of a deal, I'd take the risk.

FYI: The Dual 2.0's have audio output issues in the form of a "chirp" that occurs when the machine scales the FSB multiplier. It's not a big deal unless you do audio production work. I myself am an "audiophile" and I'm not bothered by it during playback.

Google "Dual 2.0 G5 noise" and you'll find a barrage of articles, including the CHUD "fix". Also, as Harry said, definitely do your homework with respect to reliability.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help. I made the purchase - $300 for dual 1.8, Final Cut Studio and Apple flat panel monitor. I think it was a good deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
Sounds like it to me! Now the real fun begins!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good luck. If the install discs came with the machine, pop them in and reboot from the disv, run Repair Drive from Disk Utility, reformat and do a nice clean install with your details and password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.