NTFS hard drive not reading on Panther?

L

leggit

Hello, this is my first post.

I have just got an external hard drive, that is formated in WindowsXP with NTFS file system, and I have tried to attach it to my powerbook with 10.3.8 via USB2 however it will not let me read or reactivate the hard drive, only format it. I know that OSX can readd NTFS, I have even networked XP to OSX before and shared files.
Im sure that someone has ran into this problem before. I am getting a copy of Tiger soon, will this help?
A fix for this problem on Panther would still be good as my firends only run panther and I would still like to share data with them.
Unfortunatly I cannot format this hard drive again as its full to the brim with data.

Thankyou. :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I believe NTFS wasn't supported until Tiger... I seem to remember not being able to mount NTFS drives on Panther either. It does work on Tiger as far as I know... But I haven't tried it yet

OP
E

embries

most *nix OS have only rudimentary support for NTFS. I don't know if Tiger's changed that or not.

OP
L

leggit

I have just downloaded .9 and still cannot interact with the NTFS drive in any way. suggestions?

OP
M

meatychi

You can read NTFS partitions using Panther but you cannot write to the NTFS HD

You could format using FAT32 but FAT32 is restricted to 32GB in size.

I would reformat your external hard drive using your mac to format the HD in NTFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have a home network that includes a pc. i share out both drives on on the pc. both are ntfs. i write to the drives and read from the drives over the network.

Reaction score
leggit said:
Hello, this is my first post.

I have just got an external hard drive, that is formated in WindowsXP with NTFS file system, and I have tried to attach it to my powerbook with 10.3.8 via USB2 however it will not let me read or reactivate the hard drive, only format it. I know that OSX can readd NTFS, I have even networked XP to OSX before and shared files.
Im sure that someone has ran into this problem before. I am getting a copy of Tiger soon, will this help?
A fix for this problem on Panther would still be good as my firends only run panther and I would still like to share data with them.
Unfortunatly I cannot format this hard drive again as its full to the brim with data.

Thankyou. :yinyang:

To be able to have full access for both the Pc and the Mac to read and write the drive needs to be in FAT32 format. Another way is format the drive in the Mac format and use the program MacDrive on the pc, it allows the pc to read and write to a Mac drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.