Keynote Hyperlinks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
I'm trying to create a Keynote presentation (Using Keynote '08 v4.0.0 on Leopard) with hyperlinks that can be viewed on Windows computers. Which export option is best? I thought HTML would be the most ubiquitous and simple, especially since I don't have any build or transitions, just regular slides. I'm using the hyperlinks as navigation, not just to go from one slide to the next or previous, but also to jump from one slide to another non-contiguous slide (like from a main menu.) I tried exporting to HTML, but the hyperlinks became useless, and clicking anywhere just brought up the next slide in order.

Any thought or ideas?

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Reaction score
When I test the scenario if I'm hyperlinking to a web page, the hyperlink opens an instance of Safari (or whatever is the default browser) and loads the target web page. If the hyperlink is to a different slide in the presentation it jumps to that slide instead.

As far as exporting to something that will work for a person running windows, there are a number of options available to you.

You can Export to a Powerpoint, which works very well, but it does require that the person viewing the file has PowerPoint,

You can export to a quicktime movie, which works well, but will require that they have quicktime or a compatible viewer (I think windows media player MAY play quicktime movies.) My testing shows that the hyperlink is active but the cursor doesn't change when hovering over it, but the link does still launch a web page if that was the destination of the hyperlink.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
Thanks for getting back! Have you been testing the HTML export or the actual Keynote Presentation. I can get it to work until I export to HTML. Maybe I'm dong something wrong there.
I thought about PPT, but will the hyperlinks work then? I don't have a Windows PC to test it on...

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
When I test the HTML export I too don't get active hyperlinks.

When I export to a PDF, I do get active hyperlinks (to an external web page, for example). The hyperlinks work both within the Mac side as well as on a windows machine.

Also, when I use the export to PPT (Powerpoint) the Hyperlinks are retained and work for both the Windows version of Powerpoint and for the Mac version as well.

For whatever reason, the hyperlinks aren't "live" when using the HTML export function. Possibly it would required getting into the exported HTML files and insert the appropriate code for the hyperlinks manually.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.