IPod Touch 3rd Gen; update firmware and died?

Reaction score
I think I am pretty much out of luck here but thought I'd ask. Purchased a new Ipod Touch 3rd Gen for my daughter's xmas...

1. fully charged the battery before xmas.
2. xmas morning, Powered it up, and the normal 'plug into itunes' screen.
3. Plugged into iTunes.
4. Registered the device.
5. Update was available for the IPod Touch, so I chose to update the device.
6. 15 minutes later and the status bar on the device was almost done, and then it went blank.
7. Left it like that for another 30 minutes, still nothing.
8. tried to turn it on and nothing, black screen, no apple icon...
9. Tried the normal reset and then the recovery reset by holding both the power and main button down while it was plugged into the computer (usb).
10. Then the computer said, 'unknown usb' was plugged in....
11. still blank,

Question, is the new IPod dead, trashed, or is there a procedure to recover that I have not found?

Being xmas morning, I can not take it back and my daughter is crushed...

thanks,
-dw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I am so sorry to here about your daughters distress on Christmas morning ! Let's see if we can get it going better. Not much we can try ...

Unplug touch from computer and the try the hard boot ( sleep and home held down ) see if anything different happens.

Also when you updated the software , did you check download or download and install ? It almost sounds as if the device got unplugged during the update but...

Let me know what happens.

OP
T
Reaction score
I tried as you suggested and nothing happened. Yes, download and install was checked. The progress bar on the phone was more than 90% when I checked it, waited 10 minutes and came back and the phone was 'off', I then waited another 30 minutes before touching it.

Being an embedded software engineer I am very aware of the problems with unplugging during an upgrade which is why I waited that extra 30 minutes (at the time thinking this was overkill), and making sure that my battery was at 100% before even updating the device.

Any more ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks clayneal for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I am afraid that your unit is BOB " bad outa box" I feel bad for you and your daughter ( being a father myself ) on Christmas morning. Hopefully you have an apple store close by so 1st thing tomorrow you can swap it for a new one.

Good luck and merry christmas.
Clay

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I am afraid that your unit is BOB " bad outa box" I feel bad for you and your daughter ( being a father myself ) on Christmas morning. Hopefully you have an apple store close by so 1st thing tomorrow you can swap it for a new one.

Good luck and merry christmas.
Clay

I was hoping there was a backup bootloader enabler thingy. lol
Thanks for the help, have a Merry Christmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.