migration assistant ran, so uh, where's my stuff?

Reaction score
Ran Migration Assistant to transfer all my files from MB Pro to new Mac Mini. Took about 90 minutes, went out to dinner, dialog boxes said everything was successful - but can't find where anything is. If I search for example "All Movies", it's blank, even though the MB Pro has a bunch of movie files. I know my computers weren't just pretending to transfer files for 90 minutes, so where did everything go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It may have created a separate user account with all your old stuff in it

check the users folder first

OP
A
Reaction score
Nothing in the Users folder.

Update: I realized all my applications copied over, but none of the documents (/pictures/movies/etc.)...

Reaction score
Same issue

I'm having the exact same issue (though I purposefully did not copy over my applications). Copied over all the user accounts with their documents, movies, etc., using Migration Assistant, but now nothing I've transferred is anywhere to be found. I've checked the drive with one of those hard drive visualization programs, and none of the files I transferred are represented. The main hard drive even says that all of that disk space is gone! Those files have to be somewhere, I just can't figure it out.

Using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on 17" MBP

Reaction score
I finally found my stuff after searching last night and again tonight in the users area. It listed it as "ibook G4". Many of my docs etc. were in there. I'm not sure if the pics made it or not since I only had time to unlock the docs folder. For some reason they were all locked. I used the "help" button to walk me through the unlock problem. I knew my things were migrated since I had found a few things earlier and the hard drive was smaller, it just wasn't clear where! Good Luck to you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Good find and thanks for posting your solution :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In the initial set up with a brand new user it asks if you want all your stuff from another computer - in that case i believe everything would be in same places but if OS is already installed in the new unit it is imported as a different user to the one already set up as admin, so data would be stored elsewhere.

Reaction score
Solution

So after some more searching and noodling around and stepping back for a second, I found the solution.

I basically just didn't realize you can't access ANY user data (or even see the fact that it's taking up space, which is ridiculous) unless you are logged in as that specific user...so it turns out that all of my documents, data, etc. were just under a different user name. So, all I had to do was log in as that user...took a couple of tries since I have a few accounts now that I've migrated a couple times, but it finally works.

Reaction score
I didn't even see a new user account. I didn't transfer from My Music, My Documents but from D:\Music. Now those 12GB is nowhere to be found, can someone help me please? T_T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS 10.8.3, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory
So, now what?

OK, I found my stuff under another user. But I don't want two different users - I want just one user with my music, documents, pictures, etc.

How can I get the stuff merged into my preferred user account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I can't believe this thread was started on 12-25-2009 and it has taken you till now to find your stuff. Nearly three years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Three years

I can't believe this thread was started on 12-25-2009 and it has taken you till now to find your stuff. Nearly three years.
That's funny. And would indeed be quite remarkable. But I only just joined the Mac Forum a couple of days ago when I got my new Mac. In the old days (twenty years ago etc.) I was a Mac fan but I wound up being a reluctant Windoze user for the interim.

PS: I'm still looking for the answer to my question.

M

MacInWin

That's funny. And would indeed be quite remarkable. But I only just joined the Mac Forum a couple of days ago when I got my new Mac. In the old days (twenty years ago etc.) I was a Mac fan but I wound up being a reluctant Windoze user for the interim.

Read the thread I posted for you. Your mistake is solved in that thread. Search is still your friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read the thread I posted for you. Your mistake is solved in that thread. Search is still your friend.

I did read it. And the links that it linked to. Hmm.

OK, now I see it. Apparently, Safari doesn't authenticate new tabs which are accessing the same site. Or something like that. Anyway, it was there after I realized that there was more than it first appeared.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

My point exactly.

You have started a New Post within an old thread. You should have started a new post on your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.