So I had a big problem with my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
I just thought I'd share my Apple experience.

The computer is in my sig.. I go to wake it up from sleep about 5 days ago, and the display would not turn on. I tried resetting it, playing with the brightness keys, and even looking at the display in the light and there was nothing, even though I could hear the computer boot and everything. I did a little digging on Google and I found this:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

So I felt an overwhelming feeling of relief, because I had already worked out selling this thing on ebay for parts and buying something else in my mind because I knew the video/logic board was done. So I'm from Dallas, and I was going to Des Moines for Christmas, and I would have to take it to an Apple store there because I can't live without my compute for long. I took it there and before I was halfway done explaining the situation at the genius bar, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about. I had purchased the computer back in July of 2007, and the support page says that Apple will cover the failed chip as long as the computer is less than 3 years old, expired warranty or not. He took my computer in the back and ran some tests on it and it the 8600m GT chip did indeed fail. So they had to order a new logic board, I signed some stuff, and came and picked it up a few days later good as new. They even cleaned everything for me! The screen looks like new! I was very very happy with the support and service I was given. I spent 2 grand on this computer and I was cursing it when I thought it was done. And what do ya know, if there is a known problem, with nvidia or not, it seems as though Apple will acknowledge the problem and support their customers.

I just thought I'd share my experience with my MacBook Pro. The whole ordeal has reinforced my Apple loyalty.

Merry Christmas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Its nice to hear a happing ending every now and then... Instead of the majority of posts on here are <rants>

Congrats mate.. Well done and merry christmas :)
A feel good story brightened my day

Cheers

Reaction score
those 8xx series laptop chips were defective from the factory. Same problem on PCs that used those chipsets as well. Nivida took a ton of heat over the whole affair and dell and apple both extended their care policies to cover the defective parts.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
those 8xx series laptop chips were defective from the factory. Same problem on PCs that used those chipsets as well. Nivida took a ton of heat over the whole affair and dell and apple both extended their care policies to cover the defective parts.

That's what I read after doing a little digging. Although I never heard anything about it back when I bought the computer. Oh well. Just glad that everything worked out well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.