Safety on Facebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hey, so I tried to log in to Facebook this evening and found that it said "Your Account has been Temporarily Suspended". It appears that my account was compromised by a site that phishes facebook logins. I'd like some tips on being safe on facebook to avoid this happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey Nano ... from the top. Dont play any of those silly games that they have on there. That is where compromising your account has been the most trouble. BC so many people play them Hackers have been in them to get to your account.

2nd goto settings>privacy settings>search and make sure the the allow box is UNTICKED. Now read the little bit to the right of the box. Nice of FB to tell everyone you are searchable on there.

Then go through your settings like a fine tooth comb and make sure its all ok.
There was a article not to long ago (2weeks) i think, that creator of FB had private photos posted to the world, BC he didnt fully understand his new features he put in.

Only allow people you know to be friends, and what i have done is put my PLACE as somewhere completely different so if someone is looking for you and they search by location, you wont be found.

Just a few i know of mate... Hate the place at best of times lol

Good luck and hope it helps :)

Cheers

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What "games" do you mean?

One of my (good, very good!) friends sent me a link and said it was a video of me. The site asked me to authenticate. Turns out the link doesn't go anywhere at all.

I'm not sure if I'll stay on facebook after this. I may have my account destroyed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There are heaps of games from blackjack, poker to farming and marfia wars ... Yea i wouldnt authenticate for anything on there.
I use it primarily for friends and family to see recent pics of my son and myself and that be abut it...

Like i said im not big on it and you hear new safety issues about it nearly every other day now ...
Go on take the plunge and leave. The worst thing is even if you stop your account its still out there somewhere so you will never be COMPLETELY off it ... Grrrrrrr

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The worst thing I use is "Friend Quiz". No, if I want it destroyed, I mean COMPLETELY DESTROYED. There must be a way! I haven't decided yet but I'm definitely going to be careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its a matter of trying to get hold of the Admins to COMPLETELY destroy it. Ive had a friend trying for 4 months to no avail ..... Good luck ...

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
always make sure the address bar says "facebook.com" before you type in your information. a browser like firefox will show you up at the top identity information about a website.

for instance this site here
"doesn't supply identity information and my connection is not encrypted."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
to get rid of applications, click on applications on the bottom left corner. then click on edit applications. select all applications from the drop down menu. any application that you are unsure of, click the X by it and it is deleted from your profile. i only have 2 because they are games that i play all the time.

another security tip is when people invite you to use an application, click on block application instead of ignore.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Thank you. I've already deleted all of those useless aps from my profile.

Reaction score
What "games" do you mean?

One of my (good, very good!) friends sent me a link and said it was a video of me. The site asked me to authenticate. Turns out the link doesn't go anywhere at all.

Did you fill out your info? That link was the phishing trick.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Exactly, that's what I mean. It's a dead end. I don't get any video of me, it just steals my password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.