Upgrading MBP Hard Drive

Reaction score
Im familiar with all the hardware changing steps necessary to install a new HDD. But what do I do before that? Do I transfer the data on the new drive first? Or do I install it and then there is a way to do a clean install? Im still unclear about everything? I was thinking about doing a clean install, but that would be a lot of hassle as well.

Model: MBP 13inch mid 09

Pls Help
Thanks

Reaction score
do you not have a external hard drive that you back up everything on if not you need to get one and back up everything then you can transfer everything back to the new hard drive. i keep all my Docs, video and movies on back up along with the apps

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes I do have an external HDD, but my question is do I first connect the new hdd externally, format it, transfer data and then then install or just install first, then format, pop cd, restore?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
6 of one half dozen of the mate. Personally i would transfer it all over 1st to your new HD.
Make a backup to your external, format partition the new HD transfer over then rip old out and chuck new in ...

Personal preference

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.