Bluetooth Keyboard

Reaction score
Alright i just got a new bluetooth keyboard for my mac for christmas and i am having issues with my F1-12 buttons. When i hit F11 for my volume it uses the expose command and F12 opens my dock. I tried resetting default settings to the keyboard but it did not change anything. I looked through the keyboard shortcuts and it does show the buttons leading to those things but i searched for a volume shortcut and could not find one. I am using Leopard, i haven't had time to upgrade yet.
Thank you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What brand and model is your new keyboard? What Mac are you using this with?

Also does your new keyboard have a Fn (Function) key like most laptop keyboards? If so hold it and try the F-keys.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open System Preferences. Click on Keyboard.

Look at picture below. Uncheck "Use F1, F2 ETC keys as standard Function Keys"

That should fix it for you.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you D travis but i unchecked the box and it is still not working. i checked my shortcuts and they show that the shortcut for the dock and the expose and stuff is FN+f11 or FN+f12 but even if i press the buttons without the FN pressed in the problem keeps going. I tried plugging in my old keyboard and the shortcuts aren't working on there either.. im thinking when i installed the new bluetooth mouse that it changed some settings? I tried going to default settings and the problem is the same... is there someway to change the settings so the f11 and f12 will still work for volume? i think its just a shortcut but i can't seam to find where the shortcut is on the list?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which apple keyboard? USB Aluminum one with numbered keypad?

It works here with it unchecked. You do not press the Fn Key with that option unchecked and my volume buttons work fine. If I check that option then Expose and Dashboard trigger with those same keys.

OP
B
Reaction score
here is a picture of my settings for my keyboard... it might be something really obvious and if it is im really sorry.

Picture 1.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless that small USB keyboard is very different from the larger one I have with the Numbered Keypad, I don't know what is going on. I can not duplicate your issue except for what I told you earlier with that checkmark in Keyboard preferences. Still hoping someone with your keyboard would jump in and help.

OP
B
Reaction score
alright thank you very much. but yeah... i looked it up on the apple website and they said that the functions should work just like a normal keyboard... im wondering if for whatever reason there might be a stupid update or something maybe? ever heard of that?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there were any updates for that keyboard, they should show up in Software Update from the Apple menu.

I have a feeling it's some setting somewhere besides that keyboard preference pane.

Did any driver CD come with that keyboard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
As nothing obvious has popped up then try this and hope. Download this and run it.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, there were no driver Cd's with the keyboard.. im going to try downloading the other update though... hopefully that will work.. Thank you both very much for the help so far though. Il respond to if the combo update thing worked.

OP
B
Reaction score
alright i downloaded the update, didn't fix the keyboard but it seems to have made my computer slower lol. but whatever. any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Didn't have any of the logitech driver or anything like that loaded did you?
Have you gone under Keyboard Shotcuts and removed any that are set to those keys?

OP
B
Reaction score
i have never used any other keyboard other then the plug in one with the number pad. and yeah i tried taking off the other ones but its not doing anything. its almost as if the FN button thing might be stuck? is that possible? just trying to think of possibilities

OP
B
Reaction score
APPLE RELEASED AN UPDATE :)

its almost as if someone from apple was reading this thread and released an update to fix this problem lol. very happy now that my keyboard is finally working perfectly. Thank you to everyone who took the time to help me and thank you apple for the update:).

Have a great day everyone :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.