Quick question???

Reaction score
I was just wondering if an Imac G4 with a 700MHz processor (or up) and 1GB of memory would be able to lay standard flash video such as youtube fine without much lag. I know currently my old Imac G3 will not.
Also will an Imac G3 with a 700MHz processor with a GB of ram play youtube videos.
I like macs i just do not want to pay 500 bucks for a CHEAP one.

Reaction score
I was just wondering if an Imac G4 with a 700MHz processor (or up) and 1GB of memory would be able to lay standard flash video such as youtube fine without much lag. I know currently my old Imac G3 will not.
Also will an Imac G3 with a 700MHz processor with a GB of ram play youtube videos.
I like macs i just do not want to pay 500 bucks for a CHEAP one.

Hi there,

I can't answer your question definitively, but I can tell you that I am able to tell you that I can quite happily view youtube vids on my G4 Quicksilver 933Mhz.

From what I remember (I'm returning to the Mac scene after about 5 years absence) the processor in a imac is essentially a cut-down version of a G3/4/5, etc in that the L2 (level 2) cache is usually pretty minimal, so this would have a bearing on what the processor is capable of doing.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will assist you further.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
I had an iBook G4 with an 800Mhz processor, an ATI 9200 video card, and 1.25Gb of RAM. Even with processor performance set to "highest" it would still drop frames while playing some YouTube clips. These two machines have the same levels of L1 and L2/L3 cache and the same amount of VRAM (32Mb). Also, the iBook has a slightly faster FSB at 133MHz vs the iMac with 100MHz. Honestly, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The good news: You can pay less than 500 dollars for a sufficient machine. Check Craigslist and eBay. I purchased my Dual 2.0 G5 for 280 dollars sans RAM, HD's, and a video card. It's possible. Keep your eyes peeled and good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.