• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need advice for encoding Video-TS to Divx format with DVD quality

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue
Hi, this is my first thread started here at mac forums and haven't had a whole lot of experience with this site, I must say though that most everybody is friendly and helpful and that's something that I appreciate in a forum. I'm new to video encoding and need some advice. I have a couple of movies that I would like to encode to Divx format to keep on my Mac's HD for a trip that I am taking so that I don't have to carry the movies with me. I use MTR to rip the Video-TS files and am using D-Vision 3.2 to encode the files. D-Vision gives me a few options when it comes to the bitrate, I can choose a file size limit and D-vision will adjust the bitrate to keep the movie under that specific size or I have the option to choose the maximum bitrate and D-vision will encode up to but not exceed the bitrate that was specified. Size isn't really an issue since i just upgraded to a 640 GB HD, what I'm looking to do is to encode these movies in Divx format (or any other format compatible with my mac) to create the nearest to DVD quality that I can. Here are a couple of pics of some of the options for video and audio encoding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

D-VisionVideoTab.jpg
D-VisionAudioTab.jpg

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Personally I would keep the frame rate high, as it makes for smoother viewing, and as for quality, if size isn't an issue, select max quality.
Most HQ Divx files will run out at around 1.37 GB in my experience.
Audio is fine at 128 unless you are listening with really good headphones/speakers.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I would keep the frame rate high, as it makes for smoother viewing, and as for quality, if size isn't an issue, select max quality.
Most HQ Divx files will run out at around 1.37 GB in my experience.
Audio is fine at 128 unless you are listening with really good headphones/speakers.

The Divx files usually end up around that size. Now what do you mean by framerate? I usually just leave the framerate alone as D-vision will automatically set the framerate to equal that of the VOB. Also what's the difference in video quality between framerate and bitrate when encoding to divx?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well the framerate should be constant in most programs, and the higher the better, leaving it is fine.
If you lower it pictures run less smoothly, so you can get jerky motion for example. Anything above 25fps is fine generally though.
Bit rate is just like bit rate selection when ripping mp3 for example, so 128 MP3 is generally poor, where as 320 is high and virtually indistinguishable form the original CD, therefore, apply that principle to bit rate encoding in Divx and you can't go wrong. The higher the bitrate, the sharper the picture.
That said, the encoder itself can vary. I have some amazing quality avi, that are only 700 mb, and are the equal of DVD's, and some Divx that are bigger files but worse quality, so it's often a case of playing around a little.
Just curious, if size isn't an issue, why convert?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there's a few reasons behind converting, one being that I'm leaving on a trip in the middle of January and would like to have a digital copy to view on my mac. Another being the simple joy of understanding my mac and it's potential. I love to fiddle with programs, ones involving video especially, and learning these skills are important to me (at least it gives me satisfaction knowing that I have learned something new). If you don't mind me asking, what programs do you use to convert and how do you go about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok that's cool. Personally I would just use VLC player to view the Video_TS folder though, then no conversion is needed.
Anyway, when I do wish to convert I will either use Handbrake:

HandBrake

Or ffmpegx:

ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264, PSP, iPod, MP4, MOV, FLV encoder for Mac OSX

Both are very good, and have many functions to fiddle with. I tend to use ffmpegx for joining Avi's more than anything else, and Handbrake for other things. That said ffmegx is a very good and quick converter.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok that's cool. Personally I would just use VLC player to view the Video_TS folder though, then no conversion is needed.
Anyway, when I do wish to convert I will either use Handbrake:

HandBrake

Or ffmpegx:

ffmpegX a DVD, SVCD, VCD, CVD, VOB, DivX, XviD, H.264, PSP, iPod, MP4, MOV, FLV encoder for Mac OSX

Both are very good, and have many functions to fiddle with. I tend to use ffmpegx for joining Avi's more than anything else, and Handbrake for other things. That said ffmegx is a very good and quick converter.

i'll try ffmpegx, I have it but have never used it lol. Ty for the tips btw. if anybody else has any other input that would be appreciated as well.

Reaction score
I'd go with MPEGStreamClip, it gives you more options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.