iMac 27" Duo start up problem

Reaction score
Hi, could any iMac experts out there help me with this one please? I have always been a window user and this is my second day with my brand new iMac. The shop delivered and set it up for me yesterday. Today, when I tried to switch it on, the first time, no response (just a white screen). Switch it back off and on again, then it took 10 mins to boot up! I called the shop and they said it might be the RAM (i upgraded from 4GB to 8GB) having a compatible issue and said if the issue continues the next few days, they'd send a technican to change the part for the RAM. I shut it down and tried again, again just the boosting sound then a white screen, nothing. Switched it off and then back on again, and again this time it took 10 mins. What should I do? Let the shop changes a part (as they suggest?) or should I insist on the shop giving me a new machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Normally, if memory is incompatible the machine will not boot at all. Or you may even get a constant beeping noise. A white screen and 10 minute boot time indicates other problems in my opinion.

Since the machine is brand new I believe I would insist on them bringing out a new one to replace the one they sold you.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, chscaq. Is there a thing as "Apple ram". I wonder if they've given me some cheap brand upgrade?

OP
N
Reaction score
Ah, is that the problem? I read the manual. It says you should shut it down only when you're not using your mac for more than a few days. You should normally just put it to sleep. And I SHUT IT DOWN. Does the iMac take ages to switch on from a SHUT DOWN mode (not from a sleep mode)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.