Newbie input device question

Reaction score
Got my first Mac three weeks ago(21.5" iMac) and I'm ready to check out Garage Band. What would you suggest as an audio input device for a newbie? I doubt I will do a lot of tracking on the computer, but I would love to be able to try it out. I'm a guitar player so that would be the main thing I want to plug in. Should I get a $40 USB device or spring for a Firewire one. I want something that will get the job done cheaply, but not frustrate and alienate me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
A USB interface would be fine. Edirol (Roland) make excellent ones at anything from budget to expensive prices.

Reaction score
If you're just playing a guitar, then you can't go wrong with a first generation Line 6 Pod. (though there are lots of other options)

It has Direct input so you can plug right into your computer's input jack, set a virtual amp model and go nuts. You can also use it to record other instruments as well if you hook up a microphone to the POD.

You can find the first gen ones on ebay for about $40-60.

but if you want to get a more professional setup then firewire inputs are all you should be considering.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.