Dock-station; Terminal & Java consule is running without my permission!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

on my Dock-station; Terminal & Java consul is running without my permission, just after starting my mac system!

I have posted a similar question before, even though I am grateful you guys made suggestions, most suggestion didnt meet my needs!

I am lots on the road, and have approached an apple service, they could not give me an immediate reply to the issue. But rather ask me to leave my system with them, so they could have a look.

I have to use my system in my daily routine, and cant just leave it for days somewhere!

Did anyone face similar issues; that immediately after you start your system the Terminal & Java consul is starting to run; this have started to happen maybe after 3 months of my mac purchase!

I have followed some of you suggestions, and exited the applications but somehow they restart on their own a little while later.

I cant seem to locate info's, about the function or task it performs, and since I dont know it - it bothers me very much!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What exactly is running? What app is trying to launch through Terminal? Have you checked your startup items (System Preferences > Accounts > (click your account) > Login Items)?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

thank you for your interest and quick response.

As I said; on the dock-station something called "terminal" is running it has underneath a kind of blueish lighted colour, as does the "Java console".

I was able to exit it, but even doing so does not solve these issues that I face! Because, it restarts a while later on its own, and keeps processing data until you exit the system!

I just want to figure out what this "data processing" is aiming for, all my research so far didnt give me any leads at all!

You were asking me what exactly is running, were I able to respond to that?

Also, I did follow your instructions and did find that the "iTunesHelper" has a marking for hiding, as does the "iAntiVirus" application that I am using!

There are some other application listed there, but they dont have a marking. In fact those that dont have a marking, according to the documentation are supposed to open on their own, but this is not the case!

As for the "Terminal", clicking on it a small window will open seem to indicate the log-in date&time on "ttys000"! I havent a clue what "ttys000" stands for, as I cant associate it with anything I am aware of!

Also, my mac username, in connection with my mac model is indicated! For now my username, is my admin and as such is the only account I am using!

What do these seem to be about; anything harmful?

Thanks for your interest.
Wishing you a happy new year, and a great week.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Remove iAntivirus from your login items, reboot your machine and see what happens.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I have done what you said - I cant seem to see any difference at all!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, as soon as you boot up, Terminal starts? prior to you starting any other apps?

What "other" apps are listed in your login items beside iTunes helper and iAntivirus?

And if you're talking about the row of icons on the bottom of your screen (unless you moved it), it is just called the "Dock". There is no "Dock Station" unless that is some other app you have installed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As for the "Terminal", clicking on it a small window will open seem to indicate the log-in date&time on "ttys000"! I havent a clue what "ttys000" stands for, as I cant associate it with anything I am aware of!
That's normal.

Can you provide us with a list of every application listed as a login item? This "data processing" - what is it? How do you know it's "processing data"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If there are applications with the little blue lights under them, this indicates they have not been closed and are still running. Click on the to open, and then close using the menu bar and Quit.

Any without the lights you can just drag off and poof the alias in the dock is gone. The original apps are still in the Application Folder. Do not use antivirus software on your Mac as it makes all sorts of problems, including slowing down.

Have a read of this. Whilst it is some years old still current as there are no virii etc for the Mac.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10331147-263.html?tag=mfiredir

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi bobtomay,

well as soon as I boot up and start the browser the "terminal" starts - prior me starting any apps. Sometimes, the "terminal" window will even open on its own, without me doing anything.

In fact what do you mean by "apps", do you mean applications that I downloaded on to my mac?

There are no apps listed on that list, other than those that I already indicated! As to my best knowledge, I dont have any at this stage. Those that I had, I deleted completely since this issues surfaced!

I used to have some uploaded applications, to link directly to a website for graphs/market data...!

Now, I am accessing those via the website(s), surely the uploaded version that could direct me to the website had more user-oriented features! Since, I am so afraid, about possible issues with the "terminal & java console" I have no choice but to use the web version. Despite using the web version, it still appears and thats why it bothers me!

I am wondering could it be that, there is/are applications that run hidden from my sight?

Sorry to confuse you, With "dock station" I meant to say on the "Dock"!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi vansmith,

thank you for your reply.

"This "data processing" - what is it? How do you know it's "processing data"?

Because, I can see what it is processing; at what times I took what action on certain websites, were I went on those websites and what actions I performed on a page!

I am just trying to figure out what functions the running "terminal & java console" are suppose to do?

What exact use does it have for the user/website provider to have it running on my screen?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi harryb2448,

thank you for your interest.

I know already about what you have described, and did follow it the way you said. But even doing that, hasnt helped to get rid of those "terminal & java console" running on my screen. What really bothers me is not knowing what functions/purpose they suppose to have for a mac user!

As to the "antivirus software" on Mac, well recently I am getting so afraid having these stuff run on my screen, and as I dont have an alternative but to use my mac for some specific purposes I thought it will help using it!

Does this mean that the OS X is 100% secure, and does not need any antivirus software and anything related to it? Security is important to me, as I am using my mac for important matters instead of using a systems based on a windows OS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Does this mean that the OS X is 100% secure, and does not need any antivirus software and anything related to it?

Nothing is 100% secure but as of today there isnt any VIRUS out there to stuff up your system. So as harry said get rid of it BC it will slow the machine down BC it uses a lot of CPU.

Not worth having ..

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because, I can see what it is processing; at what times I took what action on certain websites, were I went on those websites and what actions I performed on a page!
I'm confused. Is the data being processed in the open applications have to do with this website you're on? Would it be possible to show us a screenshot of what is being done in each of these applications (Terminal and the Java app)?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi vansmith,

I am just wondering am I bothering too much about this, and am I the only one who faces this kind of issues!

Well, as it seems its processing my activities on few websites!
Why this bothers me is that I am using sensitive stuff. Also, this has never happened before, just not sure is this a very mac specific issue as I have never experienced this on any of my wiindow OS.

Vansmith, I am a newbie mac user(few months), how do I do a screen shot only of those two windows, leaving out everything else on the desktop?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To take a screenshot of a window, push Shift-Command-4 and when the crosshairs come up, push the spacebar. Click the window you want to take a screenshot of and it will be saved to your desktop.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi vansmith,

thank you for your interest.

I have to say this particular mac community is a great way to exchange and expand knowledge.

I am thinking maybe some stuff might be sensitive, if the administrator here allows me can I sent to you a private massage about the matter. First, before making anything more public, at this stage!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.