does everything have to stay on the desktop?

Reaction score
Every time I install something, lets say for instance firefox. An icon appears on the desktop, if I delete it the whole program is gone. How do I avoid having a bunch of icons on my desktop? Thank!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
you didn't install it then. Drag it to the applications folder, that'll actually install it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sounds like you are just mounting the image. >_>" After you open the DMG file it should show you an icon of the program + the Application folder. You simply drag and drop the icon onto the Application folder.

If it doesn't you need to find your Application folder manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Totally agree with Mike ..
As for the thread question 'Does everything have to stay on the Desktop' my answer is no.
I havnt a single icon on my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
This is one of the most obvious immediate differences between Windows and OS X. The icons on your desktop are virtual disk images. They are similar to the the icon that appears in My Computer when you insert a CD to install a software package.

To install the software, you open the image, and physically drag the software icon to your Applications folder. Once it's copied to your Applications folder, you can Ctrl-Click the desktop image and select "Eject". The image disappears but the software stays installed.

Unlike Windows software, which is often made up of many thousands of files, most (but not all) OS X applications are a single file on your drive. Copy that file to your Applications folder and it's installed. Delete that file from your Applications folder and the software is uninstalled. It seems odd, but once you get used to it, it's ridiculously simple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to what Dysfunction said, say you download Firefox.DMG. A DMG is a Disk Image. You click on it and it opens and mounts another folder on the desktop and opens a Finder Window. In that window will be the Firefox Application. Drag that to the Applications folder.

After that close the Window and drag that folder to the trash and it will unmount. Then you can take the Firefox.dmg and either move it to downloads for later use or throw it in the trash and empty.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks guys! This switch is so confusing and I can see how windows users think that windows is more user friendly. But I can tell that once I get the hang of this, that the mac is going to be much more user friendly! I am loving it so far! :) Having a problem with my limewire installer. It keeps stopping at " running limewire installer script" I dont really want to make another post for it so if anyone has any suggestions as to why? Or anyone suggest a good p2p for the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Transmission or Acquisition are a cpl good ones .. Sorry no links this is just a quick post ... Good luck..
Others will have some others to chuck at you

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unlike Windows software, which is often made up of many thousands of files, most (but not all) OS X applications are a single file on your drive. Copy that file to your Applications folder and it's installed. Delete that file from your Applications folder and the software is uninstalled. It seems odd, but once you get used to it, it's ridiculously simple.

Just to add more. That "single" file is actually a package that contains anywhere from several to several hundred individual files required to make the App work. Where Windows throws them hither and you on your HDD, on a Mac only a few are placed outside the App package for the System (or multiple user accounts) to access. The Apps that throw the most garbage around your Macs HHD? MS Office..

OP
J
Reaction score
Just to add more. That "single" file is actually a package that contains anywhere from several to several hundred individual files required to make the App work. Where Windows throws them hither and you on your HDD, on a Mac only a few are placed outside the App package for the System (or multiple user accounts) to access. The Apps that throw the most garbage around your Macs HHD? MS Office..

Lol. go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
say you download Firefox.DMG. A DMG is a Disk Image. You click on it and it opens and mounts another folder on the desktop and opens a Finder Window. In that window will be the Firefox Application. Drag that to the Applications folder.

Just being picky here, and I could've quoted any of the posts with the above information. I kept waiting to see one little detail that I never saw in the steps for installing: The "Applications Folder" that you drag the Firefox icon to is actually an alias of the real Applications Folder that is supplied by the Firefox disk image, which shows you both icons, so you don't have to go looking for your actual Applications Folder. <--That would be the "manual" procedure someone mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Totally agree with Mike ..
As for the thread question 'Does everything have to stay on the Desktop' my answer is no.
I havnt a single icon on my desktop.

Me neither! I thought I was the only one that did this. I blame the OCD!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I keep mine clutter free also...

l_bc13b62af753445284040a20ddd9e8c0.jpg

l_ab66364b96df4295af109254c9db0716.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.