Screen - too white?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help, and thought I'd try this question in a different forum as I have also experienced this problem on a mac a few times (not sure how it was solved tho). I've got a powerbook and the display has gone too white - its nothing to do with the brightness but more the colour - the title bars of windows should be grey but they have turned white and all my icons and general display is too white and can't see all of the details.

I've mucked around with all the display settings but to no avail. Yesterday when I turned it on it had returned to normal - but this morning when I turned it on it had changed back to being too white.

I have shapeshifter installed if that makes any difference - again I have mucked around with these settings - but nothing works.

Anyone know what I'm on about?

J

Jefe3223

ummm...you don't have the "pure white" .gui installed and running on shapeshifter do you?...'cause that would be the answer...It might not be the "pure white" one, but one similar. go into preferences, and then to shapeshifter, hit up the apply tab and under "Themes" select "defult aqua theme...or anything that looks like the original....that should set it back to normal....OR you can turn shapshifter off, under the "shapeshifter" tab and the "shapeshifter enabled" button.
If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll bouce some ideas off you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for replying Jefe3223.

I've turned off shapeshifter and re-booted. Still the same.

I have attached a screen grab of what my screen looks like. As you can see the firefox window is very plain and white and wishy washy.

I would be so greatful for your help, I'm having real difficulty trying to design my website - without seeing what colours I'm using!!

Screen-grab.gif

Reaction score
The screen shot looks fine to me !! I take it that the brightness and contrast are still at a normal level ? Try making a new colour profile in system prefs / display / colour.

It could be that your pressing a key combination which is changing the display settings, if this is not the case then it could be a hardware problem which is much worse.

Have the ran the maintenance scripts, updated permissions and reset the pram yet ? if not then do all of them. :bomb:

OP
S
Reaction score
Right I've mucked around with the displays and colours and brightness etc. Not much different.

Then I created a test account and logged into that - the screen is perfect. I then tried to copy the calibration settings on my main acccount, but of course they are based on sliders and can get no where near the right 'brightness/colour' - even though at the end all the numbers, targets and gammas read the same numbers! I log back into test account but can't find any difference, and you can only 'let others use calibration' option on the main account.

So at least were getting somewhere! I have now deleted shapeshifter.

Any before anyone asks - no I don't want to use my test accounts as all my settings, files, and access stuff is on main account. And I don't see why I should do, it can't be that much of a complete no-brainer that I have use another account.

Any more thoughts?

Reaction score
So it's a software problem, that's good. Now all you need to do is locate what it is that's causing the issue, hmmm.

Look through the Library folder in your home folder. It's most likely something in their that's causing the screen whiteout and delete anything that's not connected with apple programs or programs that you use. Make a backup before you do this and be careful.

It maybe easier to back stuff up and do a clean install, are you feeling lucky punk!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh no!!! Am crap at stuff like this I don't really know much technical stuff on macs!

Do you mean re-install OSX???

Or just delete applications recently installed?

OP
S
Reaction score
Right I've deleted half my software - nowt happened.

Then I deleted all my library preferences and copied the folder contents from the test account to my admin account and voila its worked!!! Stone me!!!

No idea what else I've deleted or f*cked up, so expect to see a lot of me on these forums in the next few days!!!

Now for the installation of all the software I've deleted .... thats if it will re-install... oh the joy!!

Anyway thanks very much for helping me, I knew I wasn't going mad that summat was amiss with my beloved powerbook.

Reaction score
Glad it's solved (or kind of solved). I'll try to explain things in plain English next time but with any luck I will not have to. Hope it all works out !!! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.