time machine & wireless router

Reaction score
I have just set up a time machine after a lot of difficulty using ethernet connection to my wireless router, but if I disconnect the ethernet cable I cannot use the time machine for back up ,the amber light flashes
I want the time machine for back ups only, and I want all wireless
can any one point me in the right direction

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Can you clarify your post a bit? You may be confusing Time Machine and a Time Capsule.

Time Machine is a software application used to backup your Mac.

A Time Capsule is Apple's wireless router/hard drive unit.

Is a Time Capsule your sole wireless router, or are you trying to use the Time Machine application with some other type of hardware besides a Time Capsule?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here s what I think may be happening. It sounds to me like during setup you told Time Capsule to extend your existing network using Ethernet. I think the option asks of you want "create a second network or extend an existing network using ethernet". If that is the option that you choose it is going to rely on the ethernet connection to extend the network.

Try telling it that you want to join an existing network. I think that will do what you want. Depending upon your network settings you may need to go into your original router and tell it to allow the Time Capsule's MAC ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Check this out - it might help.

OP
U
Reaction score
it is a time capsule , I have made my first back up , but as soon as I disconnect the ethernet cable the time capsule goes on to flashes amber light and although I can still connect to the internet via my wifi router it is slower. I don t want cables when I bought it I understood it had a airport therefore would just take over from the airport within the mac. I have a problem with my ethernet cable connection in the mac, that is why I use airport. Can I not just use time capsule for back ups only . Would be grateful for any advise in simple language
I ve tried choosing option , join existing wireless network , and the capsule will not work , I have to use option , set up new wireless network and leave the ethernet cable attached to the TC for the TC to work
Do I have to connect TC to Mac via USB cable ?
help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.