USB HUB Charging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
is there any way that i can charge my 2G iPod mini via USB HUB, instead of plugging into my computer or buying a power adapter?

F

FishStickBoy

Is the USB hub is self powered (powered by a power supply) or powered from the computers root hub (requires no power supply, like a memory stick or mouse)?

If it's self powered then there should be no problem.

But if the hub is powered from the computers root hub you might draw too much current if using too many devices. This wouldn't hurt the devices but they might not work properly.

Root USB hubs provide a maximum of 500mA of current? If this is exceeded the computer will not enumerate all devices.

I would say if the hub isn't powered then use only the iPod on that hub and it should work fine.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
FishStickBoy said:
Is the USB hub is self powered (powered by a power supply) or powered from the computers root hub (requires no power supply, like a memory stick or mouse)?

If it's self powered then there should be no problem.

But if the hub is powered from the computers root hub you might draw too much current if using too many devices. This wouldn't hurt the devices but they might not work properly.

Root USB hubs provide a maximum of 500mA of current? If this is exceeded the computer will not enumerate all devices.

I would say if the hub isn't powered then use only the iPod on that hub and it should work fine.

it is a self powered one and i just tested it and it doesn't work. maybe there are USB Hubs that have more juice? i don't know.

V

vtupser

Your USB hub needs to be USB 2.0 so that it can send power through the USB cable. If it is USB 1.1 then you will not get any power going to your mini.

Reaction score
USB 1.1 does send power, as does USB 2.0. However, I'm don't think the Ipod mini even supports drawing power over USB 1.1 (I don't think it's enough juice). You'll need USB 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I have a USB 4 port hub with a power brick that i dont use.. and i get bluetooth, ipod shuffle and ipod 4G through it and all is fine :)

B

Badger

According to Apple the mini must be charged from the computer or the power adapter, no hubs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.