Time Capsule - MBP

Reaction score
Hi
I've downloaded quite a lot of old camcorder footage onto the MBP and the time machine is taking too long to back up. The back up is about 40gb and is taking forever. I have left everything on over night and still no where near.

Is there a lead i can get that will make the process quicker.

i've tried a cat5 lead and usb to usb. still no quicker.

Any help would be great.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Connecting via ethernet cable should help. Perhaps you'll need to turn off the Airport to force the backup via Ethernet. Make sure it's a regular cable and not a crossover cable.

If you're using a Time Capsule, USB to USB is not an option. The USB on the TC is an output, not an input. Actually, I'm not sure where you'd find a cable that you could physically use to connect them.

If you're using some other USB drive besides the Time Capsule, then make sure you're not using a an old USB hub which is not USB 2.0 compliant. Ancient USB 1.0 devices still work with new hardware, but they are very slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ethernet is faster, but if it's not an option then try firewire either 400 or 800. 800 is faster. It's what I use and I backed up about 80 or 90gb in just an hour or two to an external.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.