Word crashes on my Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4 MBP, 2.53GHz, 4GB memory, 320GB hard-drive 5400 rpm
I have installed Word for Mac onto my Macbook Pro but for some reason it crashes all the time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but it's doing it again!

Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Thanks, Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nope, no one knows. You haven't given enough information. What version of Word is it? What is its source? (CD/DVD from _____?) Is it part of an Office for Mac suite? If so, what version? What is your OS version? Explain "crashes all the time". Does it work for awhile, and then "crash"? Explain. Can you pinpoint a particular action that causes the crash? Give us something to work with!

P.S. Since you think it's a Word problem, this topic probably "belongs" in the Applications and Games Forum. That is, unless you're not running OSX, but you don't say!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mate,

Word version 12.2.3 and it is part of the of the office suite (installed from a CD). I have Snow Leopard on Macbook. When I open a document it crashes on opening but when I am creating new document it seems to be OK. Anything else to need to know?

If this in the wrong place I will post in the right place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Bob, Why not check out iWork 09 - it is very capable and one can import and export in M$ pdf RTF etc.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, Why not check out iWork 09 - it is very capable and one can import and export in M$ pdf RTF etc.

Sounds like a good idea!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Word version 12.2.3 and it is part of the of the office suite (installed from a CD). I have Snow Leopard on Macbook. When I open a document it crashes on opening but when I am creating new document it seems to be OK. Anything else to need to know?

If this in the wrong place I will post in the right place.

Office for Mac 2008? Have you fired up Microsoft Update recently? I have O4M 2004, so I don't know the latest revision number for Word in O4M 2008. Maybe there's a patch for Snow Leopard compatibility by now. (?)

Are the existing documents you're trying to open of recent vintage? Or, were they created by a previous version of Word under a previous OSX version?

Obviously, I'm pointing a suspicious finger at software compatibility. But, that might not be the problem at all. It could be a corrupt com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist file. The way to find out is to locate that file, and with Word closed down, place it on your Desktop, then reopen Word. That will create a new plist file where the original one was, set to factory defaults. Then try a file that crashed before. If it's no better, you can put that plist file back and preserve any settings you might have changed. It will overwrite the newly created file, and that's ok.

Since I have 2004 with OS 10.5.8, the location of that file on my end might be different than yours. Mine is in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft and there is another one, back up one "notch" in that Preferences folder, and without the "prefs" in the file name. (I don't know why both are needed! Maybe one is useless!!)

iWork is a fine option. But, do you share files with others using Windows? I'm not 100% sure that such sharing would be "seamless".

(I'm not suggesting that you should post again in the Applications forum. If the moderators want to, they will move this.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.