A Return of Random Shutdowns?

Reaction score
So I've got a 4ish year old Macbook that I've been having some problems with. Remember the old random shutdown syndrome macbooks had a few years back? It's been doing it to me again.

Obviously I got the patch years ago and used it to good results, but lately I've been getting the same type of symptoms going on. For no apparent reason, it will randomly shut down on me. At first I thought that the exhaust port in the back was blocked, causing the chip to overheat and automatically shut it down (as letting it sit usually cures the problem), but as it's done it without the laptop being noticably hot (nor without me taxing the system) I don't think that's it.

Any ideas of what it could be? I'm kind of hoping it's not some deep rooted hardware issue, but who knows. My battery is pretty shot (gives maybe 15-20 minutes of life) and for some reason my power cord also has been cutting on and off, but I'm not sure how related to the problem it is. Especially because immediately before the glitch things will start messing up, so I don't think its just a power issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Please always provide information about your OS. Can't help you unless you do.

1. What version OS
2. What third party apps are installed
3. What peripherals are connected
4. Have you done an HD integrity check
5. Have you tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM (resetting PRAM - Google keresés)

Doug

OP
L
Reaction score
Please always provide information about your OS. Can't help you unless you do.

1. What version OS
2. What third party apps are installed
3. What peripherals are connected
4. Have you done an HD integrity check
5. Have you tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM (resetting PRAM - Google keresés)

Doug

1) 10.5.8 (Leopard)
2) A very large amount... haven't installed any new ones for months now though and I actually haven't been using any that would tax the system. Mostly it's just been Firefox, ITunes, VLC, office products, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.
3) None
4) I did one awhile back (several months ago) with no problems. Granted it's been awhile, although not having the Leopard disc makes that a bit hard.
5) Nope.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.