lovely. iMovie doesn't even work right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.6 on 21.5" iMac, 3.06 intel dual core, 4gb, 500 gb HDD
Still a new mac user, I guess (been 1 month). Decided to give imovie a whirl to make a slide show with a bunch of pictures (so I could include titles, various transitions, etc, stuff that iphoto can't). Well, it crashes. A lot. Its one project with about 180 pictures. Maybe it's because i have the weeniest version of the new iMac, but still, one would think that it'd still be enough power in Dec' 09 to run imovie '09. Oh well.

I feel so bamboozled (you know, because of the whole, "it just works," thing).

sorry, just a new switcher venting. I was hoping for utopia, but I guess I have to settle for, essentially, "same story, different look." :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya know, if you give us more details we might be able to help you. Just a thought...

Reaction score
Thought it worth registering just to say how easy I've found using iMovie. I'm a new Mac convert and my first iMovie project was so easy. Don't loose heart the end results are well worth the effort.

Reaction score
Still a new mac user, I guess (been 1 month). Decided to give imovie a whirl to make a slide show with a bunch of pictures (so I could include titles, various transitions, etc, stuff that iphoto can't). Well, it crashes. A lot. Its one project with about 180 pictures. Maybe it's because i have the weeniest version of the new iMac, but still, one would think that it'd still be enough power in Dec' 09 to run imovie '09. Oh well.

I feel so bamboozled (you know, because of the whole, "it just works," thing).

sorry, just a new switcher venting. I was hoping for utopia, but I guess I have to settle for, essentially, "same story, different look." :(

Your "crashing" problem might a usb device that you have plugged in. If I have my HTC G1 phone plugged in and charging when I boot-up, it wont allow me to access my bootcamp partition and I have to unplug it.

I had never tried imovie until I read your post. So last night I thought I would mess with it to see what it was all about. I unfortunately lost track of time and was up 'till 3am creating a slideshow.

I didnt have it crash once. I was expecting it to crash so I could maybe figure out what the problem was and give you an answer.

Maybe it's a resident application running that isn't playing nicely with imovie. I dont know enough about OSX to know if conflicts like that can happen or not.

On my old Windows machine it was usually two programs (applications) that didnt get along that caused a problem.

The only thing resembling a crash I've ever got on OSX is a "Force Close" and the thought did cross my mind at that time was "Oh man, here we go again!". I dont remember what the "Force Close" was all about but it was a while back and I havent seen it since.

Just some thoughts.

P.S. That's definitely not a "weeny" mac. That thing should be ripping right along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I've use iMovie just a couple of times since getting the iMac in April - worked wonderfully both times. On both occasions I was combining stills and video clips, plus background sound - no difficulties at all. I think it is an amazing piece of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I've created all my demos and mini projects on iMovie from the original all the way up to '09, never once had issues.

Go to the apple store and see about a new machine, install, fix or something, my machine has the same specs as yours, it's not right that you have these issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.