iMac LCD Burning Image very Quickly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C.2.D. 2.4GHz
Hello All,

Excuse me if I put this in the wrong section, I think I'm okay, but sorry if it's not. I'm new. Anyway, as the title says, my iMac's LCD is burning VERY quickly, as in like reading a google search result (web page up for about 10 seconds) will burn, literally that quick. Does anybody know of a fix for this? It looks really bad on my solid colored wallpaper.

-Jake Root

P.S. The image usually goes away [from being burned] after about 3 minutes. Also, it's a 24" inch aluminum.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That really isn't a burn-in issue (burn-in really applies to having a constant image set on one portion of your screen regardless for what else is on the screen). What you are describing sounds more like a refresh issue, or delay issue. Whereby, if you watch something for a bit and then move away the previous image takes a while to fade away before the new image completely takes over.

On the first generation LCD's, this was known as ghosting and was really perceptible on sports and games where you could actually see the path of the character/athlete.

How long has your iMac been doing this and how old is it? If it's still under warranty or AppleCare support, then you might want to give them a call..

I'm sure there are some LCD test programs you can run to see how bad this phenomenon is on your LCD..

Regards

OP
Jake Root
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C.2.D. 2.4GHz
My iMac is about 2 years old, bought in December of 2007. It's been doing it for about a month or so. Strange because I have in no way changed any display settings, or general settings for that matter.

Sadly, I'm not in warranty anymore, so that's out of question, but I guess I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the help,

Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
As equipment ages, there's a need to change settings to compensate for changes in the equipment's performance. You might find your original settings way off ideal for now. Let us know what you find out; I'm curious to know if running the test program and tweaking the settings helps you out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If this is a recent thing, it's entirely possible the LCD is beginning to fail.

Regards

OP
Jake Root
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C.2.D. 2.4GHz
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies! Coaster-I lowered the brightness, to see what that does. Raz0r- Holy **** I hope not. Colin- Me too.

The weirdest thing is it doesn't "persist" [the image] in Boot Camp. I honestly cannot figure it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.