iMac G5 won't boot up (kernal panic?)

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 17" 1.9GHz iMac G5 that's having issues. Just installed a fresh OS (10.4), and when I try to boot up to configure it, it stops at the grey screen with the apple and the spiraling disc icon, and after a minute or two, the apple turns into the "no" symbol (circle with a slash through it.

The computer also will not boot from the install CD. It will however, boot just fine from a firewire drive (another computer in target mode).

Booting in verbose mode initially gave me "shutdown cause=3". I tried resetting the SMU and now it's giving me a "shutdown cause= -110".

I guess it's confusing that it's booting up perfectly from a firewire drive, but not from the internal HD nor optical drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Shot in the wind try to reset firmware. Hold option, command, O, F keys and start up hold keys until you reach white screen, release and type: reset-nvram press enter then type: reset-all and computer should re-boot. Let me know this has worked for similar issues in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.