I love my MBP except...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Uni 13/2.53 SL- iPhone 3g
When it comes to encoding and burning my videos I will stick with Windows. It took me right at 2 hours with Windows and close to 24 hrs with Mac using Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You're doing something wrong then. Never had one take anywhere NEAR that long...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW that is a long time ... Should it be that long ??
Are all updates up to date?

Dont personally like toast but for a Open Source app i cant go past Handbrake and its quick for me ......
Might not be what your looking for though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If he's using Toast he's burning video to DVDs (HB doesn't do that). If he's using Toast to Rip, then he's REALLY doing something wrong.

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files are in .mov format and I was burning to DVD. The burn process took only 45 minutes, which is normal. The agonizing part was waiting for encoding process to end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Have you been doing this with the internal DVD burner or an external one ? Perhaps try and external one if you haven't already.

Doug

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have an external burner. The actual burn process is not the issue as I have burned data and even copied dvd movies from a friend without a glitch. What I am trying to do is to burn personal movies into dvd to watch on TV which was transferred from my camcorder. They are in .mov format. I will try it with a different format other than .mov to see if it makes any difference.

Again it's the encoding(preparing to burn) process that takes almost forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Transcoding does take time. Another thing to consider - what rez was the .mov files? If they were HD files, it can really tack on extra time when it has to resize video for SD...

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were large HD files. You're right I think it has to compress the files to fit into the DVD. But nevertheless, it did take an unusual amount of time to do so. Once I have more free time I will try again with a different formatted file.

OP
investinchad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mkv movie file was 4.4gb, it took 3 hrs to get to 20%. With my calculation it would take 15 hrs to encode and another 45 minutes to burn.

With a smaller Mpg4 movie file size of 1.5gb took an hour to get to 19%. this would be just a little over 5 hrs to encode and another 20 mins to burn.

I pulled the plug on both trials before it completed. I didn't want to bore myself like the last time.

Handbreak did a wonderful job at coverting. It's just too bad that a paid program rendered half-useless in my case.

It was pretty straight forward as far as the steps were concern to burn the DVD. So I don't think I screwed it up? Anyway, I will continue to use Toast to copy Disc and burn data but not With movies.

Reaction score
Mkv movie file was 4.4gb, it took 3 hrs to get to 20%. With my calculation it would take 15 hrs to encode and another 45 minutes to burn.

With a smaller Mpg4 movie file size of 1.5gb took an hour to get to 19%. this would be just a little over 5 hrs to encode and another 20 mins to burn.

I pulled the plug on both trials before it completed. I didn't want to bore myself like the last time.

Handbreak did a wonderful job at coverting. It's just too bad that a paid program rendered half-useless in my case.

It was pretty straight forward as far as the steps were concern to burn the DVD. So I don't think I screwed it up? Anyway, I will continue to use Toast to copy Disc and burn data but not With movies.

Thanks for the info! I have only burned a couple DVD's with toast titanium and they took about an hour for a full DVD (pictures only). It seemed like a long time but I didnt have anything to compare it too.

I'd never burned a cd or dvd in my life before that.

If I make a iDVD disk should I use something other than toast? Just so you know it was pretty **** easy which is what I want (need).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind that the resulting DVD will have no better quality than the file from which it was burned. While Apps like TOAST will transcode to the DVD format, they can not make up for quality, or lack of it, in the original file.

Bigger files size = better quality = longer transcode time. Smaller file size = lower quality = faster transcode time. It's all a trade off. Having a fast computer, or one with multiple cores, can speed this process up somewhat.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't been impressed with Toast when it comes to this feature either. Even though one of the options when you are using certain files is Never Reencode (choose custom in the DVD options) Toast seems to ignore this option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.