I've bent the lid on my new MacBook Pro :(

Reaction score
I've had one of the new Macbook Pro 15" for several months now and have looked after it very well - keeping safe it in a neoprene sleeve - it's immaculate.

However, this evening when i opened the lid it made a horrible scratching/grinding noise. After closer inspection it appears, somewhere, somehow the bottom-right corner of the lid has bent slightly further down, causing it to rub on the main body when opening and closing. I don't quite know how this has happened as i've not dropped/banged the laptop at all. I can only put it down to having pressure on it sometime whilst at the top of my bag in a luggage storage place at a London station today.

As a student with no cash i'm worried - I suppose this is classed as accidental damage, which means it won't be protected by the Applecare Protection Plan i bought with the laptop, right?

How much is this likely to cost to get fixed in a Apple store and how long will is take? I can't really do without my laptop for more than a day as i have work to do over Christmas, but as opening and closing the screen scratches the body it must be fixed. Additionally, i live over an hour from an Apple store - i take it there's no way i could take it in for an appointment, have it fixed and back to me in one day...

I am literally devastated - i love this thing :(

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm afraid that those are questions that can only be answered when you show up at an Apple store. >_>" If I had to guess it could take a week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.