Run separate Windows on Mac.

Reaction score
I have my mac in my room and a Windows XP in another room. Is it possible to boot the Windows computer on my mac? I would use Parallels but you need an install disk and my disk drive on my mac is broken. Any software is fine, as long as it doesn't require a disk.

EDIT
I've tried using programs like LogMeIn but it's too laggy.

And I also got the idea that maybe I could put the XP Install disk into the Windows computer and use the remote disk on mac?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Enable Remote Desktop on XP, and then download RDP for Mac and connect to your XP machine from the Mac.

Regards

OP
G
Reaction score
I downloaded it and I connected to the PC but it asks for a username and password but the PC doesn't have one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I downloaded it and I connected to the PC but it asks for a username and password but the PC doesn't have one.

Yes it does, you just have the machine set to automatically log into that account. Check the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel on the Windows machine. It's possible there is no password, but there will definitely be a user account there. Grab that username and use it on the Mac with no password (if one is not set).

OP
G
Reaction score
Heres what I did and it didn't work. I went on to the XP and went to My Computer properties then clicked computer name tab. The name was GilbertPC so I typed that in the box. The administrator for the XP is G-Man and doest have a password so I just typed G-Man into username and left password blank. And it says, The Mac cannot connect because the Windows-based computer cannot be found.

And Remote Desktop is enabled on XP.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Try this, Start->Run and type "cmd" in the box, in the Terminal that appears type "ipconfig" and grab your IP address. Now instead of GilbertPC, use the IP address on the Mac's RDP client while leaving everything else the same and see if that works better..

Regards

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Running any kind of security or firewall software on the Windows machine? If so, you have to tell it to allow RDP traffics to pass. The procedure will vary depending on the software. The same goes for the built-in Windows firewall if that's what you're using.

OP
G
Reaction score
Now it said Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer that you want to connect to.

I pressed Connect Anyway and it brought up a windows signon screen and when i signed on it said cant log in because of account restrictions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.