Lots of questions about Mac Mini as "HTPC" (HTMAC?)

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Mini to act as a mediacenter for my TV/Hifisystem.

Today I have a Macbook Pro and a Time Capsule. The TC has a 1Tb USB-drive with all my music and I've pointed iTunes on my MBP to have the USB-drive on my TC as home.
iTunes likes to change that back to my hard drive now and then and I really hate that..

So I'm thinking about buying a Mini and connect the USB-drive directly to the Mini so I won't have to setup iTunes all the time (not for that alone of course).
iTunes wont change back when you have a connected drive directly to the computer, right?

I wan't to be able to play music through optical out to my stereo and change songs via my MBP and screen sharing.

Is this possible?

I have a 13" MBP and my TV is 1920x1080, I have read about people having problems with the Mini changing resolution and I don't want that.
I rather scroll around on my MBP rayher than change resolution back and forth.
Is this possible?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You can connect your Mini to your TV and stereo with no problems. I have a Mini connected to mine right now. You can do screen sharing or just use your TV as the display. You will need an adapter depending on the Mini version and the TV model. You will need a mini toslink cable for the digital audio. My Mini never changes resolutions, not sure what you mean by that. The Mini makes a wonderful home theater appliance in my opinion.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I have read that if you run 1920x1080 on the Mac Mini/TV-set and connect the Mini to a computer with less resolution via screen sharing, the Mini change resolution to fit the screen on the other computer that connects to it.
Then you have to change back the resolution manually when you wan't to wach a movie on your Mini/TV-set.
Seems annoying.

Do anyone have any knowledge if this is true or not?

I also need to know if iTunes change it's home folder for music back to standard "/user/music" even if you have it on a external USB-drive connected directly to the computer?
It does when you have a network drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It will adjust on the machine you are viewing it on. It does not adjust the resolution of the Mini itself. At least mine doesn't. Once you put that info in iTunes you should be good to go. If it never moves iTunes will never lose track of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.