Mac OSX reinstall help

Reaction score
Alright, let me begin by saying that the help I am asking for is in no way illegal.. I have a Mac computer, and simply need to reinstall the operating system which I legally own a copy of.

It's an iBook G4, which was my dad's before it came my way. Unfortunately, I do not have a password, as it was not originally my computer. So I am unable to even boot it up to find out some key system information. But anyway, I do luckily have the 2 .iso image files for the Mac OSX 10.2 operating system that is installed on the machine. These files are on my PC.

Now, what I am trying to figure out is how I can burn a disc of these image files that I can use to reinstall the operating system. First, I tried burning them to DVD media with the program, Alcohol 120%. Apparently this old iBook doesn't read DVDs, though, as the disc was immediately spit out.

After that, I tried burning to a regular old CD-r in Alcohol 120... this time, the disc stayed in and I could hear it being read, but when I restarted and held down C, there was no install menu. Nor did it show up as a boot option when I held down the "option" key.

My suspicion is that I am not burning the disc correctly--the options menu in Alcohol before I burn the disc has the fields:
-Track formant
-Block size
-Image header size
-image trailer size
as well as boxes to check:
-Data was scrambled already
-Data contains EDC/ECC info sessions

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading.

dDrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Not wishing to intrude, but is there no way you can get that password, or the original Jaguar disks?

Next: I suggest you transfer the .iso images via flash drive from your PC machine to a Mac computer to burn them to a CD. I've had a quick look at the Alcohol120 information and it seems very much Windows-specific. The CD you've burned may be readable only on a Win machine. See Burning a disk image file on a CD or DVD in Mac OS X

Please provide further detail - if you can - of that iBook. Some later models were dvd-capable.

You might wish to use Google with 'boot from disk image Mac' in the search field.

OP
D
Reaction score
well, it's a powerbook G4, and that's about all I know about it haha. From what I could deduce, it has no DVD reading capability.

I also do have another Mac computer, and will take your advice to burn using Disc Utility. My only question, then, is, what options should I select when burning this image? Can it remain in .iso? or do I need to convert it to some other format before burning...?

Again, thanks for the help.

dDrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
what options should I select when burning this image? Can it remain in .iso? or do I need to convert it to some other format before burning...?

I don't claim to be an expert about installing OS from a disk image, but a Google search using 'installing OS from disk image Mac' brings up a heap of information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Their show here SCO0206 - Chapt 10 covers making Install discs into dmgs, as i recall

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.