set up free website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17in GS Macbook Pro 3.06ghz, 4gb ram, 500 hdd 7200 rpm,9400m and gt graphics
hi all

can anyone recommend a trusted site to use so i can create my own website and get it set up,

i just want to put video's and pic's up of my club plus some blogging and advertisement for my filming services etc

also would i be able to let other companies put their advertisment on even if its a free site (just thinking as the free site is by a company)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I wouldn't recommend using Free hosting services. Many of them place restrictions on what can and can not be put on their servers (many of these restrictions can be quite silly, such as: "All websites must be written in English. All sites with other languages will be removed".) Also, from personal experience, many of them are of bad quality when it comes to things like FTP (assuming they offer it at all). Usually these free hosts do post forced ads on your website. Deleting or modifying these forced ads typically results in the termination of your account. It varies whether these providers allow you to sell your own advertising. I would recommend a cheap hosting provider such as GoDaddy. From them you can get hosting AND your own domain (such as yourclub.com) for about $62/year ($5/month for hosting + $2/year for domain).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers ipod nano

i'll have a look at godaddy

i thought it was to good to be true

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Indeed. I learned that the hard way :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Totally agree with Chris. Free= you get what you pay for, essentially.

I know of a few people who had Go Daddy accounts and weren't very happy with the service, so ymmv. I will however suggest checking out this company:

Build a Website - Squarespace

Have heard nothing but good things about them thus far. I've been wanting to get an account with them for a while, but I'm in such a long and tedious process of sorting out a new Lightroom catalog method for over 20k worth of photos. Not fun. Need my portfolio set up really badly..

Doug

Reaction score
Don't know if this will meet your needs, but you can try wordpress.com

I had one there before I built one with wordpress that is hosted privately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My dad has 2 or 3 sites hosted with GoDaddy and it works fine for him if it means anything! But there are TONS of providers out there, so feel free to find a good one that works for you!

I did some checking and GoDaddy actually gives you MORE (sorry, typo earlier!) for your money.

$5/month with GoDaddy gives you:
- 10 GB Space
- 300 GB Transfer
- 100 Email Accounts
- 10 MySQL Databases
- Eligible to get domain for $2/year.

$8/month with Squarespace gives you:
- .squarespace domain (you can't have a URL like mysite.com it has to be mysite.squarespace.com)
- 75 GB/month Bandwidth

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cheers guys

i'll have a look into both,

Chris does godaddy give a free trial as i cant find one (or am i being blind)

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Hmm. No, I don't think so. You could try it for very little money for just a month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I use godaddy for my sites. You can buy a www address from them for about 11 bucks, and then they will give you a 'free web hosting credit' to create a site. The only drawback is that it will have a 1 inch ad at the top of the screen that you have no control over. It's a very cheap way to get into web hosting though, especially if you're just testing the water.
To get rid of the ad, simply fork out the 5 bucks a month for their paid hosting service and you're golden.
I'm new to web sites, but am absolutely loving learning about it. I've made sites for all my friends and used godaddy to host them. I beg them to pay the extra money to lose the ad that makes my 'beautiful' site ugly, but most of them are cheap and just opt for the eleven dollar option.
Go figure.

Here's an example of a site I made for a buddy's electrical business with the ad banner www.jdpelectrical.com (IT'S NOT FINISHED, IT'S JUST A PROOF OF CONCEPT, SO DON'T BE TOO HARD ON ME!)
My total out of pocket investment for buying the domain and hosting the site is a whopping eleven dollars per year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.