Constant freezes and crashes.

Reaction score
Hi all here at the Mac Forums. I created an account specifically to ask for your help on a serious problem i'm having with my computer. I know little to nothing about my computer, and obviously this is a problem. I do know what version it is, ( 10.4.9) and that it is an intel Mac. Anyways, my problem is that it constantly freezes, to the point where the only option is to hard reset it. This occurs upwards of five times a day. Most of the time, it is the result of me starting up a 3rd party program. However, on startup, it often freezes. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
This likely isn't something that can be diagnosed via a forum.

It could be a hardware problem, or an OS X problem.

The only hardware problems you can solve are to make sure all the connectors are fully inserted, but that would require opening up the computer. You could also make sure the RAM is inserted fully. If a heating problem, then it is best left to an Apple tech to fix it.

If OS X the problem, you can try first running Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder. Another possible fix requires booting from the install DVD and running Repair Disk using Disk Utility. Of course the final fix would be re-installing OS X.

Since you have clearly said you know little regarding computers, you are best advised to let a pro handle hardware and OS X installs. You need to backup your user files and make sure you know your keys for any software that requires it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Do you think downloading the newest version of Os X available would help out my situation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u are on Tiger 10.4 try downloading and installing this see if that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As Collin pointed out, 10.4.11 is the last version upgrade for 10.4. Upgrading to it might help.

The most current version is 10.6.2 and is Intel only which you say you have. The $29 upgrade disc will work for you too, even though Apple doesn't say so. I would try the link Collin pointed to first. Also, as I said, this could be a hardware problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I wouldn't recommend 10.6 as a solution. There are still bugs being worked out.

As an aside, Apple has said that the $29 disc will work for pre-10.5 upgrades. They have also said that the $29 disc is intended for users who already own a 10.5 license. There is a $169 "Box Set" which they say is for pre-10.5 users. It includes iWork '09.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you think downloading the newest version of Os X available would help out my situation?

No. But what I do recommend is backing up your hard drive immediately because the symptoms you describe could be those of a soon to fail hard drive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.