my sister is making the switch tomorrow, anything she should know?

S

speedydave

Sadly, I will not be the first person to own a Mac in my family. My sister's WinXP laptop is pretty much dead, and she needs a computer for school. She doesn't do much (word, excel, internet, email, AIM), so it looks like she's going with what I suggested to her (14" iBook, combo drive, base model, though I may recommend for her to upgrade to 512mb of ram), plus MS Office for Mac, and the Apple Care package. Any suggestions or recommendations for her, or does this seem about right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that sounds good, just explain its not a pc, no viruses, spyware, adware, etc. show her how to use the dock so her desktop isn't full of apps, show her how to do some basic things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
If MS Word takes too much time to load, disable the WYSIWYG option for Fonts and Format menu.

OP
E

EvoMac

Tell her the first thing to do is to open up her web browser of choice (mine is camino) and bookmark this site. I kid you not, this site helped me so much the first week or so it's not even funny. Use the search feature herer and it will save you loads of time trying to google around for an answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I prefer good ol Safari myself, but whatever suits your fancy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Macman said:
that sounds good, just explain its not a pc, no viruses, spyware, adware, etc. show her how to use the dock so her desktop isn't full of apps, show her how to do some basic things.
This Dock advise is crucial! Well done Macman And marking this site is a terrific idea of course!

Reaction score
Also, explain how to use Expose and the Dashboard. In my opinion, two of the most invalube tools of Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I love Expose! Don't have Tiger yet, so no dashboard, but Expose is a great tool!

OP
B

badmojo

itloser said:
Tell her the first thing to do is to open up her web browser of choice (mine is camino) and bookmark this site. I kid you not, this site helped me so much the first week or so it's not even funny. Use the search feature herer and it will save you loads of time trying to google around for an answer.

Ditto. Plus this site features RSS, and that is killer.

OP
S

speedydave

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I'll definitely tell her to bookmark this site, too. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I will say, just tell her to enjoy here new system. :)

OP
S

speedydave

Posting this from her new iBook. Setting everything up is just making me want my own Mac even more! :D

Reaction score
If you have any questions, come back any time and ask. You made the right choice.

OP
S

speedydave

I had her bookmark this site and recommended that if she has any questions, she should come here. She seems to have a pretty good handle on everything though, so I doubt we'll see her around. OSX is very user-friendly!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.