PC Cards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'm trying to figure out what one would use the Powerbooks PC Card slot for. I havn't messed with PC Cards much, so can anybody please tell me what different things PC Cards are used for...?

Thanks!

B

badmojo

rs2sensen said:
I'm trying to figure out what one would use the Powerbooks PC Card slot for. I havn't messed with PC Cards much, so can anybody please tell me what different things PC Cards are used for...?

Thanks!

PC cards are good for many things, esp wireless networking. I'm not sure if the powerbooks have integrated wifi, but if they don't, this is where an external card would go. Storage (via a PC Card Adapter) is another useful device for this slot. Before the advent of USB/Firewire this was pretty much the only speedy way to i/o with a laptop.

For more education, try this website:

http://www.pcmcia.org/faq.htm#data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
The best original PCMCIA card that i have seen is this, from Creative, an external sound card so you can have surround soundwith your laptop. Also, there are a lot of options for bio-security, wireless comunication (GPRS, G3), dedicated video MPEG2 encoders/decoders, network cards with firewalls included, FM radio, and many more.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
mraya said:
The best original PCMCIA card that i have seen is this, from Creative, an external sound card so you can have surround soundwith your laptop. Also, there are a lot of options for bio-security, wireless comunication (GPRS, G3), dedicated video MPEG2 encoders/decoders, network cards with firewalls included, FM radio, and many more.

Yeah, that sound card is pretty nice. I may have to think abt. getting one of those.

Do you know a good source where I could see a variety of different PC cards and pick and choose between them? Some sort of site that has several different types/brands/models, etc....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I looked for a site able to do that for a long time (for my previous notebook) but as far as i know there is none. Check badmojo's link to the PCMCIA official page to get a list of all fabricants but they don't explain what they do.
Check MobilePlanet or Expansys or similar mobile-related stores. Also ask Engadget or Gizmodo for the latest products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I use the PC Card for my CompactFlash cards from my camera. Much easier and quicker to use that then to use a USB cord

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.