Green Line on my Monitor!

Reaction score
Hello people!

My 20 inch Intel iMac suddenly developed a green line in the middle of the screen, and it will not go away! HELP. I cannot watch my movies or work at all! This is outrageous!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to check first to see if it's the monitor or GPU.

Attach an external monitor to your iMac. Is the green line there? If it is, then you can assume it's a GPU problem. If not, it's your iMac display.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
You need to check first to see if it's the monitor or GPU.

Attach an external monitor to your iMac. Is the green line there? If it is, then you can assume it's a GPU problem. If not, it's your iMac display.

Regards.

I don't really have an external monitor to test this out on. Is there a way to link it to my Macbook and use the latter as an external monitor instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Send it in for repair.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't really have an external monitor to test this out on. Is there a way to link it to my Macbook and use the latter as an external monitor instead?

No, because your MacBook only provides video out. Do you have a TV set at home? A late model TV can be used as a monitor if you have the proper cable and adapter. Either that or see if you can borrow a monitor from a friend.

If your iMac is still under warranty or Apple care, it might be easier to make an appointment with the genius bar and let them trouble shoot it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black 2.2GHz 160GB HD 4GB RAM
I have the same green line. Luckily, it's off to the right, but is still annoying. Is there any way I can deal with this myself?

iMac
OSX 7 Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have the same green line. Luckily, it's off to the right, but is still annoying. Is there any way I can deal with this myself?

iMac
OSX 7 Lion

How old is the iMac?
This is a known issue on the first white bodied 20" iMacs, and Apple will still replace the screen FOC if asked.

Reaction score
green line on my monitor

i have a green line on my monitor that appeared all of a sudden. and its not going away.
MacbookPro 15" os x
i bought it 5 months ago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
i have a green line on my monitor that appeared all of a sudden. and its not going away.
MacbookPro 15" os x
i bought it 5 months ago

Contact Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Mine has a few lines that are starting to show up on my 2007 20 inch. i am just going to buy a new lcd for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.