How do you make a 2mb.jpg a 1mb.jpg

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel really dumb here. Heres another thing I can not figure out. I tried to post a picture of my desktop in the desktop thread but I needed to change it from a .png (Ithink) to a .jpg I did that no problem, but the size is to big. Could someone explain to me how to do this I tried to automatically resize it but it says the same size even after I change it with command save .I know I'm doing somethig wrong, I just don't know what You guys have been saving me from headache after headache, I hope I'm not driving anyone crazy ;). I know this thing is driving me crazy but there is a good side to it , it's not a long drive ;) HELP!

Reaction score
ok, you can open the 2mb png in preview, then go to the menu bar. File>Export> then save it as a jpg (jpeg) to a preferred location

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
In Preview go to File-> Save As, then choose JPEG, and move the quality down between Least and the middle. That should do the trick.

Edit: Oops, sorry shaun89. Didn't mean to butt in.

Reaction score
...or you can press command+shift+3. This will take a screenshot of your desktop. Command is the key with the apple on it near the space bar by the way.

Reaction score
iWhat said:
Go to File-> Save As, then choose JPEG, and move the quality down between Least and the middle. That should do the trick.

Edit: Oops, sorry shaun89. Didn't mean to butt in.

lol no problem, usually others beat me too it :)

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I did save it as a jgp but It will not resize it stasys at 2mb I got the picture by ding thecommand shift 3 but it comes out at 2mb as I said Now when i go to the menu bar file it doesnt say save as it says make alias

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I did save it as a jpg but It will not resize it stasys at 2mb I got the picture by doing the command shift 3 but it comes out at 2mb as I said Now when i go to the menu bar, file it doesnt say save as, it says make alias

Reaction score
iNAP said:
I did save it as a jpg but It will not resize it stasys at 2mb I got the picture by doing the command shift 3 but it comes out at 2mb as I said Now when i go to the menu bar, file it doesnt say save as, it says make alias

You need to get a graphics editor program. A good one that comes to mind is Gimp. Latest version i believe is 2.2.6. Load it into Gimp and "resize " the picture, you can go way down, that 2 meg can go down to 25 or 30 kb if need by but something about 100 kb would be good probably.

Just go to Version Tracker and search for Gimp. You will also need to download X11 too, should be able to get that there too.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
When I installed tiger
I seem to remember X11 on it during install but it wasn't included in the install but I think it's on the disk?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.