Trying to understand how MacBook Pro boots

Reaction score
I recently got a brand new MacBook Pro earlier this year as a gift, and I'm trying to understand how it boots because it does not have a BIOS like I'm used to. I used a Linux LiveCD to format the entire HDD because I was not aware of this, and so everything that was on it such as the EFI partition is now gone because I wanted to install Linux over the entire thing like I do with my other computers.

But it's a hassle to install distros because even though the default install settings work fine with all of my other machines, but after I install on my MacBook Pro and try to boot it up, it rarely works. Is it just the way the boot partition is read in order by the motherboard or something? Or is it something else different entirely about MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Sorry I'm not any help but why would you buy a Apple computer to simply get rid of OSX and install a linux distro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
That is going to be one very expensive Linux box ! Good thing it was a gift.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.