Macbook will not read CD's and then ejects

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook Purchased 11/2007 500gbhd, 4G of RAM, Leopard
I posted here about this issue already, but only got one response. Here is what is going on with my MacBook:

-If I insert a music CD, the CD drive spins it and makes noise. It does not open iTunes or even show it on the desk top. It is not recognized. Then the computer ejects the disc.

-My iDVD software seems to have taken a crap. I am prompted every time the computer boots up that iDVD has quit unexpectedly and gives the options of "relaunch" "cancel" or "report to Apple".

-This is the weird part: I was going to reinstall Leopard OSX from the disc. The computer reads the discs and the screen pops up. I then try to go through to reinstall the software as it tells me that it will restart.

It restarts and then ejects the disc when the Apple logo pops up. Therefore I cannot reinstall the software.

Does this sound like a software or hardware problem?

Can the fact that iDVD is not working mean that my CD's would not play?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do here? I am desperate. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First... always post to your original thread instead of starting a new one.

Have you tried cleaning the drive? Buy a drive cleaning kit where computer accessories are sold. Radio Shack has them priced at around $15.00. If cleaning the drive doesn't work, you may need to replace it.

Regards.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First... always post to your original thread instead of starting a new one.

Have you tried cleaning the drive? Buy a drive cleaning kit where computer accessories are sold. Radio Shack has them priced at around $15.00. If cleaning the drive doesn't work, you may need to replace it.

Regards.

I reposted it so that I could maybe spell things out better. I have tried cleaning it, but it ejects that disc too.

How difficult is it to replace the drive?

Any other things I should try (diagnosis) before i go that route?

Thanks for your input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not as difficult as you might think although you do have to do some disassembly of the machine.

Go to the ifixit web site, and look up your model MacBook. Then look for the part (DVD drive) you need. When you find it and get the price, look for the step by step instructions on how to replace it yourself. If you think you can do the job yourself and the replacement cost is not too high, go for it. By doing the work yourself you'll save $$$.

iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts

Regards.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot man, I will probably go ahead and do the swap. I really just want to make sure I am positive that this is what I need to do and not just a simple software flash.
I found this great detailed writeup for the procedure.
http://fastmac.com/downloads/macbook_superdrive.pdf

Thanks again.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:
I purchased an external DVD drive and tried to install the OSX. The computer keeps saying that the disc is dirty but it looks brand new. It was doing the consistency check before it did the software download. It for about 35% through and then it said it was damaged.

iDVD still says that it is not working via the prompt on the screen. HOWEVER, the DVD player is WORKING! I played a DVD with no problems.

CD's on the other hand are ejected and never show up on the desktop. The External drive read them fine and iTunes popped right up and was able to rip the CD.

Soooo, to sum it up.
1. iDVD prompts me everytime I start the computer that it failed.

2. DVD's DO work and play just fine.

3. CD's Do not work in the drive, nothing happens...spins the disc for 30 seconds and ejects it.

4 Mac OSX disc seems to be damaged since the external drive couldnt get through the install even though the disc looks MINT.

Why wont the CD's load??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
had the same issue on my 2nd hand bought MacBook, bought a DVD drive from eBay (~$50.00) and put it in using a step-to-step guide from iFixit, about an hour later i was back in business....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.