Quad Core installed non "Mac" Machines.

Reaction score
Hello,

1st, I got a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, dual core, 4GB ram 1067 Mhz DDR3 (maxed) less then a year ago and will NEVER by a PC again. I have a few issues doing very minor things, but they are something that I can live with.

I have been searching on here a lot today and can't find the direct answer.

I have two projects I am working on.

Project #1:
Looking at building a 'mini mac' idea for my home theater system. Want HDMI, 1080p+ video, opt sound (7.1) steaming internet videos and movies. I have verizon fios 15/10 right now and have zero issues. Will be upgrading later on when they come out with the 1GB services. I got this idea from Macworld, July 2009, page 59, by Christopher Breen.

Really like the idea, but my knowledge of parts available for Macs are very limited and I can't seem to find "easy" information like 'if the mini mac have a 1/8" opt toggel sound output, then my MacBook Pro should too'. Also, starting cost of 600.00 for the core plus parts is out of my cost.

My idea, build a mini PC with quad core or dual core (depends on price) with plenty of ram, HHD, good Mobo with a better then avg North and South bridge should be enough to support a HDTV and 7.1 sound system.

Project #2 is the same thing. But bigger scale. Desktop with Mac and XP on the system. This will be for gaming and music recording and editing (im a trumpeter that records in my own home and sells around the world for sounds tracks and such... stated that when i got the Mac Pro! paid for it's self with in 4 months).

So, let me hear if anyone has done thing and any negatives and positives they have.

I for see the mini media hub is going to have issues with curtains because Fox, NBC, ABC, etc.. doesn't run on iTunes and I can't navigate with the remote. I have to use a mouse and keyboard (going to go for blue tooth).

If this is in the wrong place, please advise me and move.

Thank you everyone!

Might have 3 girlfriends come and go with in one year, but I will always have my Mac!!
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Installing Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac violates the licensing agreement and cannot be discussed here.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
On top of not being able to install OS X on anything besides an Apple computer without hacking it... imho, it is not the best choice for a HTPC.

While I use a Mac and OS X as my primary computer at home, I use a homebuilt Windows machine for my HTPC.

I would encourage you to use your current Mac connected to your TV. Get it set up as a HTPC doing all the things you want prior to even considering the purchase of another system strictly for that purpose. I did this for a year.

Won't go into my personal reasons. Will say that I really wanted a Mac for this use. But in the end, had to go with Windows. There are many out there using a Mac however, and it may be just fine for you also. Just check it out before you spend the cash.

OP
C
Reaction score
Installing Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac violates the licensing agreement and cannot be discussed here.

Oooo. Sorry, I thought you could just buy another license and install it. opps. Good thing I asked. lol.

Apple computer without hacking it

The LAST thing I want to do.

I would encourage you to use your current Mac connected to your TV. Get it set up as a HTPC

I have that mini DVI connection to a HDMI, but the quality seems... well, but as good as i thought that I should get from my video card on this system. (two video cards, one shared, the mini DVI is a PCI 256mb nvidia). I tried the AGP port and the tv only sees up to 800pdi. At least with the DVI/HDMI, (tried both) it get 1080i/720p.

The biggest issue, I don't think this MacBook Pro has a opt toggal 1/8" 7.1 sound output.

I will google to mod this macbook for a HTPC, but will only do it if it is under $150.00 and won't mess with my daily life while using this Mac at work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no "modding" necessary. All you need are the appropriate cables.

I am a bit confused as to what Mac you have. You talk about using an AGP port which would indicate some older Mac Pro because there is no AGP on any Intel MacBook Pro. You also mention a MacBook Pro and a MacBook. Are we still talking about the same MBP you specified in the first post?

There is no sound card in any Mac that will output 7.1 that I'm aware of. It will output 5.1 via optical out. The MBP you listed above does have an optical output port - it is combined with the same one you use for headphones. Just need a mini-toslink to toslink cable to connect to your audio receiver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.