Windows 7 student offer question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
There's a 30 dollar Windows 7 upgrade offer on the internet for students with a .net email address. Can I use that to do a full install on my macbook pro with boot camp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. The Windows 7 upgrade will do a full clean install. Many of us, (myself included) have done just that.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
You need an .edu e-mail address by the way.

Reaction score
How did you do it?

I have just purchased my first Macbook! I want to run Windows 7 on it and take advantage of the $30 Win 7 for students. How did you go about loading this with Bootcamp if you only have a downloaded install file and not a CD? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After purchasing and downloading the image (*.ISO file), burn it to a DVD using a program that can burn an ISO and render the disk bootable. In Windows you can use the free "Ashampoo Burning Studio" or Nero if you have it. In OS X you can use Disk Utility or a third party burn program.

Open the Boot Camp Assistant instructions (PDF file) and print them out. Follow the instructions.

Regards.

Reaction score
One other question...

I was talking to Apple about this and they said that Bootcamp/Snow Leopard does not support Win 7. It sounds like from your experience that it works just fine, is this correct? Also, I think when I purchase Win 7 it asks if you want the 32 or 64 bit, can you advise on this? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I was talking to Apple about this and they said that Bootcamp/Snow Leopard does not support Win 7. It sounds like from your experience that it works just fine, is this correct? Also, I think when I purchase Win 7 it asks if you want the 32 or 64 bit, can you advise on this? Thanks!

From Apple's site in their Support section:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
Windows 7 + Snow Leopard = no major problem

Whether or not Apple supports Windows 7, it DOES work. I used the Ultimate Steal promotion to buy win 7 (you don't necessarily need a .edu email; however, it must be an approved email. Mine is @fleming.on.ca, btw). I have an early 2009 Macbook pro; the only issues are my Magic Mouse so far won't work with win 7, and when using Visual Studio 2008, I occasionally have the computer freeze and require a restart.

If you are considering the Ultimate Steal to buy win7, you should consider grabbing Office 2007 - it is even a better deal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Win 7 Home Premium works fine with Boot Camp 3.0 (Snow Leopard). Apple's position regarding Win 7 is that they will "officially" support it before the end of the year. More than likely with an update to Boot Camp. Perhaps Boot Camp 3.1. However, as I stated, it works fine with Boot Camp 3.0. Windows 7 is actually an update to Vista. And as such, uses the same drivers.

As for purchasing Windows 7.... Both the 32 bit and 64 bit DVDs are in the box and use the same activation key. Of course you can only legally use the key for one. One small caveat regarding the 64 bit version: Drivers which you require (depends on your particular hardware) for your machine may not be available until Apple releases an update to Boot Camp.

And... If you install the 32 bit version, you can not upgrade it to the 64 bit one as that requires a clean install.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.