iMac 2.66ghz processor upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
Ive been looking around on the internet about upgrading iMac processors thinking it was impossible... but much too my surprise I discovered the processor in a (early 2009) 20' 2.66ghz iMac can be upgraded! (Apple don't indorse this)

I was thinking about doing this in the future to give my iMac a little more life...

However, Would the 3.06ghz processor from the (early 2009) 24' iMac work in my 2.66ghz iMac?

Thanks for any help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ive been looking around on the internet about upgrading iMac processors thinking it was impossible... but much too my surprise I discovered the processor in a (early 2009) 20' 2.66ghz iMac can be upgraded! (Apple don't indorse this)

I was thinking about doing this in the future to give my iMac a little more life...

However, Would the 3.06ghz processor from the (early 2009) 24' iMac work in my 2.66ghz iMac?

Thanks for any help

Normally I would have said an iMac processor was not upgradeable. But if you found information that a "early 2009" 2.66ghz iMac's CPU can be upgraded...please post a link for the rest of us to read.:)

As far as the upgrade (if truly possible):

1. You need to be comfortable taking your iMac apart.
2. Do you really think going from a 2.66 to a 3.06 CPU is enough of a speed gain to be worth it.
3. Where are you going to purchase a 3.06ghz CPU?
4. If you can purchase a 3.06ghz CPU...I would think that it would be pretty expensive...and thus not worth the upgrade...at least not until the CPU price comes down.

Just some stuff to think about...please post a link for the CPU upgrade info.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
Stuerror
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
I found the information on other forums and this site that said all iMac CPU's are socketed not soldered so one would assume if they can be taken from a socket one could upgrade them?

Thanks for the advice :)
I think I will just buy a new iMac when mine is surplus to requirement

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I found the information on other forums and this site that said all iMac CPU's are socketed not soldered so one would assume if they can be taken from a socket one could upgrade them?

Thanks for the advice :)
I think I will just buy a new iMac when mine is surplus to requirement

I have also heard this, except there is a giant sticker over it that says if you remove it you void your warranty. >_<"

I wouldn't do it until the 1 year warranty is over. Other than that...sure go for it? Although I'm not sure if you will see any speed difference in everyday computing with the naked eye.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have also heard this, except there is a giant sticker over it that says if you remove it you void your warranty. >_<"

I wouldn't do it until the 1 year warranty is over. Other than that...sure go for it? Although I'm not sure if you will see any speed difference in everyday computing with the naked eye.

Removing the original CPU could easily destroy it. Special tools (multi-grip puller with static ground) are required for removing a CPU. Depends on how many contacts the CPU has to the socket (it might be several hundred) on what size tool you would need.

The older Intel Pentium series were easy to remove. Some motherboards even came equipped with lever lift sockets to easily facilitate the removal of the CPU.

And you're correct about not noticing any speed difference anyway. IMO, it's just not worth the expense and effort.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.