• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Connecting camera to iMovie

P

philgrad

I'm using a new Mac G5, and I want to import videos from my DV camcorder -- the only firewire cable I have is from a 9-pin to a 4-pin port -- my computer has a 9-pin port, and my cam has a 4-pin port, but when I plug the camera in, iMovie does not recognize that there is a camera attached.

is there anyway to import movies through the 9-pin port, or do I need to get a new cable and connect through the 6-pin port?

Philgrad

Reaction score
Hmmm. You have a powermac or iMac G5?

If you have the powermac, yes, I believe you do need a 6pin to 4pin cable. One can be bought online for around $10. But, before you buy, sometimes iMovie has trouble recognizing my camera too. Try turning off and on, unplugging and plugging, and restarting the computer. Not necessarily in that order, but those are just suggestions. I would tend to think that you would need a 6pin to 4pin cable, but it should work over 4 pin to 6 pin.

If your on an iMac, the iMac doesn't even have a 9 pin FW 800 port, so if you could re-explain your situation that would be helpful.

Reaction score
Also, try switching between 9pin ports. Sometimes that does the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.