Newbie, Windows PC Converting To Apple Macs

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very much a MAC newbie myself, but I have purchased a number of iMacs, a couple of brand new and a few 2-year old models as a donation to a School overseas in Africa.

They do not have fast broadband access (they do have internet access, just not as fast and 50% of the time off due to power/electricity issues) and so going to check for solutions on line as we are accustomed to here is not their first solution. It is preferable they have books (can't beat paper ...) that they can refer to as resource material.

My question is this: They would like to include in their current small office & classroom network the Macs. There will be a mix of Macs and Windows computers. The Macs would be running the new Snow Leopard OS; I am upgrading the older iMacs to Snow Leopard.

What book(s) can I purchase that would not be overkill on technical lingo, but not too simple not to help them really. A book that would just be ideal for converting from the Windows PC Platform to the Apple Mac platform, that would explain how to combine the 2 in 1 network (with a Windows Server, or using an iMac as a Server)

Thank you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As far as a manual to help them learn OSX this is one of the best out there and what most here recomend.

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596153281): David Pogue, Pogue David: Books

Networking between Windows and OSX is easy. Just a few settings. What OS are the Windows systems running? XP? Vista? Windows 7? XP is usually a piece of cake but sometimes a few settings have to be changed in Vista. I have a network here at the house with many XP, Vista and OSX machines and all network and share files without one issue.

If you have any issues, we will all be glad to help you out.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I will definitely get the book you recommend.

I had seen this book, but it was one of so many I just didnt know which to buy, I wanted about 2, but the choice was overwhelming and reading each one claimed to be the one you needed ...

Thank you for the reassurance of help from the Forum, from what I have been reading this is a great community willing to help one and all with Mac issues. Keep up the good work, and I will certainly be posting here whatever issues/[roblems they inform me they are encountering,

Thank you

OP
P
Reaction score
As far as a manual to help them learn OSX this is one of the best out there and what most here recomend.

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596153281): David Pogue, Pogue David: Books

Networking between Windows and OSX is easy. Just a few settings. What OS are the Windows systems running? XP? Vista? Windows 7? XP is usually a piece of cake but sometimes a few settings have to be changed in Vista. I have a network here at the house with many XP, Vista and OSX machines and all network and share files without one issue.

If you have any issues, we will all be glad to help you out.

Oh, sorry, they are currently running Windows XP Professional, but they are looking to switch to Windows 7, as they have received a few PC's with Windows 7 pre-installed; snag is, I think the PC's they received have Win 7 Home Premium installed, and I am told you can not run a Server Network off that version? Which is 1 of the reasons they are considering replacing their network server with an iMac, but don't know where to start; I am sure the recommended book will start them off in the right direction

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.