Mac G4 with 10.4.1 unable to connect to WPA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a wireless netgear router configured for WPA in my home - this is because when I had my old Macbook Pro, I could only get WPA to work with Mac and Windows. It's also the only passkey that I've been able to get to work with my Wii. Anyway, we can't seem to get my boyfriend's G4 to connect - and when he goes into the network setup assistant, it only gives him the options to choose WEP, WEP 40/128 hex or ASCII, and LEAP.

Can we fix this via a software update, or do I need to reconfig my router to WEP? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tell us a little more about the configuration of your boyfriend's machine. Very old machines may have wireless cards that don't have WPA support.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's a 933 mhz processor G4, 1.5 Gigs RAM, running OS 10.4.11. We've got it showing WPA as an option now, but it only says "There was an error connecting" and then gives the option to re-try or cancel. The Airport version is 9.52. It's a wireless g card, connects fine when there's no encryption set, but as soon as I try WPA or WPA-2 it doesn't work.

***EDIT*** It works fine on WEP, but not on WPA or WPA-2 for some reason.

This was a second hand machine, so we're not really sure on the specifics.

I'm using a Netgear WNDR 3300 for these connections, current firmware.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That card likely doesn't support WPA as that machine was made well before WPA became popular (about 2004). You can get a different adapter from a third party, but unfortunately that one is just not going to work.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks cwa107 - I appreciate the reply. One of the perils of purchasing a used machine - not knowing what the hardware will support.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 933 is a G4 Quicksilver. They used the older Airport cards which are Wireless B and not G.

I have a Digital Audio (heavily modded) with an Airport Card and I am pretty sure with the latest driver under 10.5 WPA works. I will check to be sure and get back to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just checked my old G4 Powermac. With 10.5 Leopard installed, the old Airport card connects to any of my WPA routers or access points. It did not do so under 10.4 Tiger. I had to use WEP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.