External HDD not recognized

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
When I start up my iMac it doesn't recognize my new Western Digital My Book external hdd. It worked fine a few days ago. It is spinning when I plug it in. I tried rebooting iMac while hdd was on and rebooting the hdd while the iMac was on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you opened Disc Utility and see if you can se it there? How is the drive connected (USB or FW)?

OP
fiery
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
Its connected via firewire 400/800. I got it to work after playing with the power button but i think it may be something else. I partitioned it with disk utility and will see how it goes.

It freezes/stops after it gets to 16.7gb of 20 gb im trying to clone. After I restart and look at external drive it looks exactly like my internal drive. Does this mean it will work as a bootable drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.