Imac G5 power issue

Reaction score
My first generation 17" Imac G5 is having start up problems. The protection plan expired atleast 2 years ago but I don't want to invest in costly apple repairs at this point. I have tried all the support recommendations (checked power cords disconnected peripherals, reset the SMU, checked LED...). LED 1 is the only light on. There's no fan. Before this, it would restart by disconnecting everything, including an external hard drive that seemed to cause power issues. Later a garay screen would appear on reboot, and now nothing will start and the screen is black. The capacitors on the motherboard appear to be normal. How can I tell if the power supply needs to be replaced? Any ideas?

OP
M
Reaction score
can someone at least tell me how to determine if either the power supply or pram battery are dead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try a new PRAM battery and reset the SMU. PS needs to be checked by technician.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display
unfotunately power supply failures are a fairly common thing with G5's :(
pig of a job to do as well because pretty much everything needs to come out of the casing to get it out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.